Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / motor mount

Author motor mount
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
11/08/2004 6:01 AM Pacific Time

This past weekend was a fabulous sailing day here on the Outer Banks. It was the first time I was able to take "Watermark" out since purchasing her last month. All went well except that it was impossible for me to lift the motor out of the water under sail. I have a 4hp Suzuki (1988 vintage, long shaft) - weighs about 60#. The best I could do was tilt the engine, but the prop was still in the water.

I can lift the engine up when at the dock - but with the chop and the drag I could not lift it up in the sound. I'm not exactly a lightweight, and work out 4 days a week at the gym, so I am fairly strong. Is there another type of motor mount I should purchase? Are any of the other women having similar problems?
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
11/09/2004 12:58 AM Pacific Time

Marie, I know what you mean. The motor mount I have on my C-22 is a little different than my old PY23 and the angle is a lot different. The two combine to make it much harder to pull the same 7.5 out of the water on the C-22, especially in chop.

I'll try to get up to the yard in the next couple weeks to take pictures of different motor mounts (unless someone beats me to it), because I've been thinking about changing mounts, too.

The sailnet.com mailing list uses a conventional mail format-perhaps we can attach pictures to it.

Chip Lee
David Devine
Bradford, MA

Boat Name: Advent

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 5812

Hailing Port: Chatham, MA
11/09/2004 6:26 AM Pacific Time

Hi - I've got a hydraulic assist motor mount that makes it fairly easy to raise my 15hp Honda 4-stroke - would highly recommend it for any motor. The hydraulic cartridge is similar to what you see on van rear hatches, just stronger.

Ciao

Dave
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

11/09/2004 6:39 AM Pacific Time

The motor brackets in CD's catalog seem use only springs. Is anyone using these?

David, Where did you find the mount with a lift? I didn't see anything on the West Marine website - but I haven't checked the master catalog yet.

Chip - I will get on the sailnet list. I am on it for the sunfish but not for the catalina
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/10/2004 4:37 AM Pacific Time

Marie, if you need something in the interim, before you find a big motor mount, I would suggest passing a rope through the boom hoist snap on the backstay to the motor. Even a bit better would be a pulley block there to reduce the friction, and better yet if that is not enough would be two or three part system, such as the boom fang. It is hard to realize that seated on a boat it is difficult to get more than 25-35 lb pull/lift, but that is why you cannot do it with brute strength.
Al Ge
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
11/10/2004 5:03 AM Pacific Time

Hello:
I believe that Catalina Direct may sell a motor mount with larger springs for use with heavier motors. That probably would be your best bet since balancing on the back of a bouncing boat struggling with a motor becomes a safety issue. I have the original heavy duty motor mount with big springs that came with my new 1990 C22 and it handles my new 90 - 100 pound Honda motor fairly well.
Philip & Sharon
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

11/10/2004 6:13 AM Pacific Time

I see there are 2 in the CD catalog. One for 4 stroke engines ( with the option of 2 or 3 spring bracket) and one for outboards over 100 lbs. This one uses 4 springs and special brackets. This think this would be overkill.
The mount for 4 stroke engines appears to have a C22 version available - I would think you can it for a 2-stroke.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
11/11/2004 7:19 AM Pacific Time

Marie, tried to put a picture on the sailnet mail list, but max e-mail size is 50kb, so I guess that's out. Takes a pretty small attachment to get under that in an e-mail.

Chip
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
11/11/2004 8:14 AM Pacific Time

Marie,
I have the orginal one spring and use a four stroke @ 59lbs with no problems, if I was going to get a new one I'd get the two spring model. unless your going to have way more weight than that it should work for you.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

11/11/2004 8:45 AM Pacific Time

I have a single spring - it appears to be "years" old, so maybe the spring has lost its "umph" which is why I am having a problem. then the 2 spring should do it. I'll call CD tech support and see what they suggest.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

11/11/2004 9:17 AM Pacific Time

Chip
Will you send the pic to my personal email address: [email protected]. I'd like to compare your setup to what I have
David Bergevin
Hixson, TN

Boat Name: BADAM

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12454

Hailing Port: Chicamauga Lake
11/12/2004 2:48 AM Pacific Time

The new (after ~ 86) motor mount has springs top and bottom. They act as if the device has a lift cylinder (like the back cargo hatch on a mini-van).

Catalina Direct offers them and the OEM is Garhauer Marine. Check out their web site for a significant cost savings. (sorry Richard...it's too much less)
David Devine
Bradford, MA

Hull No. 5812

11/12/2004 8:28 AM Pacific Time

Marie - I don't know where my motor lift came from - it was on the boat when I puchased it 12 months ago. Sorry I couldn't help.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
11/12/2004 12:36 PM Pacific Time

David,

I called Garhauer, and the story is that they do sell the 2 spring version, which the Foredeck also sells. The 3 and 4 spring versions, for more lift, were developed with the Foredeck, and are sold only by the Foredeck. Read the Foredeck description of the 3 spring version: http://www.catalinadirect.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=10692
It will actually be necessary to push down with an 80 pound motor to get to the lowest position. Garhauer says that the 2 spring version provides roughly 50 pounds of lift. Garhauer’s 2 spring is $170, Foredecks is $269 for the 3 spring, but their 2 spring is considerably cheaper (it doesn’t appear to be in the online catalog).

Joe
David Devine
Bradford, MA

Hull No. 5812

11/15/2004 6:26 AM Pacific Time

That's the one (or similar to the lift) I must have Joe, because I do have to push a little bit to lower the motor. Thanks!!
Jerry and Tandy Griffin
Antelope, CA

Boat Name: Morning Mist

Model/Year: C-22, 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake, CA
05/09/2005 4:33 PM Pacific Time

We just got CD's mount upgrade for our 4-stroke, and it seems like nothing to get the entire motor out of the water. With a long shaft, you may have to tilt the thing even then, but it was a cinch to install, and much much better than the original one!
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
06/06/2006 7:01 PM Pacific Time

I just bought a used 6hp Yamaha. I am replacing my 4hp which will be too light for Lake Michigan. The motor mount sets a bit low for the motor. It can be adjusted (raised or lowered) by removing the bolts and resetting it in different holes on the frame of the motor mount. The mount itself moves up and down, but the first setting is already too low. My question to the group is this; when I remount the motor mount, would it hurt to place some rubber strips under the frame, next to the hull, in order to help reduce vibration? Would that actually reduce vibration? I also plan to place a thick piece of wood on the inside of the hull to help strengthen the mount location.

Thanks,

Bob
K Nicholas
WA

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1983

Hull No. 11843

Hailing Port: Port Orchard, WA
07/17/2006 1:08 AM Pacific Time

I just replaced the original Johnson 7.5hp sailmaster with a heavier (80lbs) 8hp 4 Stroke Honda (23" Shaft)(New).

I originally purchased a Garelick motor mount with the engine but when I went to install it, it just didn't fit right. I would of had to shimmy it out about 3-4 inches from the transom just to lower the engine. I returned it got my money back and ordered the three spring from CD Product #: Z2274 (Perfect).

I mounted that as the original was mounted in the center holes but when motoring the engine sat too low in the water. I raised the mount using the lowest holes which brought it up about another inch and everything seems to be fine now. Could probably go a little higher but I am not drilling any new holes.

I also dismantled my old Garhauer single spring and used just the back mounting plates to put on the inside of the transom with the new bracket (These are the same that CD sells. Product #: Z2287). This gave me a very strong mount.

This installation turned out well.
Howard Conrad
Tulsa OK

Boat Name: H2

Model/Year: Cat 22 1983

Hull No. CTYH1653M83G

Hailing Port: Tulsa
07/18/2006 5:24 PM Pacific Time

Hi Gang. I have a 9.9 hp Johnson Sailmaster 2 cycle which is heavier than he.....and a SINGLE spring motor mount. I rigged a cheap block and tackle setup tied between the top rail of the stern pulpit and the motor mount handle. Works like a charm.

Howard

PS now I have to figure out something to tilt the motor more easily.
jason
Tx

Boat Name:

Model/Year: c-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: clear lake
02/05/2008 5:15 PM Pacific Time

mr conrad,

i feel your pain. i have about a billion pound honda. getting it up is not too difficult. i just wrap my leg around and hook my toes into the scooper, lean way over and until i am purple in the face pull the engine right on up. easy stuff.

the difficult part though is tilting it until the prop is out of the water. it is like the 3rd notch and might as well be impossible. i usually dont like to fight it all that much (up or down) because (stand on this and pull that) it involves another set of acrobatics. for now i just leave the prop in the water. which i also dislike, but....

i need to look at it more closely and actually fix it, but due to slop in the motor mount/lift (no springs or such) causes the cowling (?) to hit the stern before the prop is out.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / motor mount