Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing mast head halyards & sheaves - FYI!

Author Replacing mast head halyards & sheaves - FYI!
Bob (Hobie) Davidson
Altamonte Springs, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977 c22

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Altamonte Springs, Fl.
11/27/2004 4:57 PM Pacific Time

When replacing your halyards with the mast still on the boat:
1. Pull the mast back toward the stern until the spars reach the cockpit.
2. Turn the mast until the spars point to the cockpit sole.
3. The masthead pins holding the sheaves will now be pointing the same way as the spars.
4. Pull the cotter pins and spacer while they will fall flat down.
5. Slide sheave into new forward (bow) facing sheave and hole in spacer .
6. Replace rear (stern) sheave last fitting space between sheaves.
Simply by turning the mast the replacement of the sheaves is childs play. Do it with the mast not turned and take twice as long doning the job!

I had wire sheaves and replaced my sheaves with 1/4 rope sheaves. My old sheaves were chipped and had large pieces missing. this caused halyard fraying with excessive wear and tear to halyards. i'm glad I did the switch.

Tradition is Mast Halyard goes to Port. Jib Hayard goes to Starboard.
Bob (Hobie) Davidson
Altamonte Springs, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977 c22

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Altamonte Springs, Fl.
11/28/2004 7:50 PM Pacific Time

This is a correction to my other post I did late last night.
Sorry!

1. Pull the mast back toware the stern until the spreaders reach the cockpit.
2. Turn the mast until the spreaders point to the cockpit sole
3. The masthead clevis pins holding the mast head sheaves will now be verticle instead of horizontal.
4. Pull the clevis pins out of the sheaves. The sheaves and the spacer will fall inside the masthead not on the ground
5. Slide sheave into new forward facing sheave, and hole in spacer and other new sheave .
6. Replace rear sheve last, fitting spacer between sheaves

Simply by turning the mast 90 degrees the replacement of the sheaves is childs play. Do this job with the mast not turned and take twice as long doing the job!

I had wire sheaves and replaced my sheaves with 1/4" rope sheaves. My old sheaves were chipped and had large pieces missing. This caused halyard fraying with excessive wear & tear to the halyards. I'm glad I did the switch!

Tradition is Main Halyard goes to Starboard. Jib goes to
Port. Color code your halyards
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
11/16/2005 8:09 AM Pacific Time

My '73 Cat-22 has the halyards backwards. I'm wondering if there is a reason for this. That is, my main halyard is to port and the jib halyard to starboard. There are even nifty labels mounted just below the teak grab rails to ensure no confusion. Is there a compelling reason to go with the "traditional" main-port and jib-starboard configuration?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
11/17/2005 4:33 AM Pacific Time

Hi Sean- There is absolutely no reason, except to prevent inadvertent dropping of the wrong sail in an emergency. As long as each halyard is clearly labeled and you stress the switch to any new crew members, don't worry about it. This is especially true if the halyards are internal. My previous boat was equipped with "reversed" halyards the whole time I owned her. (about 20 years) She sailed just fine.
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
11/17/2005 7:17 AM Pacific Time

I have the foresail halyard on the port side so that I can wrap it around the winch. When the wind kicks up, you need to tight the halyard to move the sail draft forward as the first step in controlling heel. Without the winch, I can't put enough tension in the leech (?) to pull the draft forward. By the way, I have only one winch for the halyards and it is mounted on the mast.
Tim Rix
Northsalem New York

Boat Name: HMS wetdream

Model/Year: 2001 250 catalina WB

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Viking Boat yard Hudson river
11/18/2005 6:18 PM Pacific Time

Speaking as a dyslexic sailor I think it works. It comes out right to me.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

11/19/2005 10:14 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the help/humor. Have any of you lubricated the nylon sheaves at the mast head? If so, with what?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/19/2005 1:47 PM Pacific Time

Nylon needs no lubricant. It would not stay in the bearing surface anyway, it is not sealed to hold lubricant.
Al Ge
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

11/21/2005 5:40 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Al!

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing mast head halyards & sheaves - FYI!