Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leaking Shroud fittings

Author Leaking Shroud fittings
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/13/2004 8:10 AM Pacific Time

Hi, I have curved crack in the over head port side of the forward hatch, it is about 15 '' long and seems to be open through the fiberglass at the largest part, and then goes to nothing at the ends. The deck doesn't seem to give any so am wondering if it is anything to worry about and if filled epoxy and jacking it back up to flush will do.
The other problem I have found is the forward and aft shroud lower fittings looks like they have been leaking so I plan to remove and do something. What will I find if I drill, say a with a 4" hole saw up through what ever is there and fit a solid piece of wood into the cavity, then re-drill the hole and glass-epoxy the overhead? Does that sound reasonable? The aft one is close to the edge, so it may be a problem. The big thing is what is inside?
Thanks, Al Ge
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
12/13/2004 4:42 PM Pacific Time

Al:

For the shrouds, don’t do what you are proposing. In essence that four inch round plug will probably pull right up through the deck and then you are in real trouble.

The area where the lower shrouds attach should have some plywood epoxied between the deck and the interior liner. After removing the chain plate eyes, you may be able to decipher if there is water damage to the plywood.

If you determine or suspect the plywood is compromised by water damage, yet feel the damage is localized so that you do not have to replace the entire deck, then before reinstalling the chain plate eye, drill out the hole larger than the diameter of your chain plate eye, fill the hole with epoxy, and let the epoxy harden. Then re-drill the hole to size for the chain plate eye. In this you will create an epoxy barrier that will prevent further water penetration.

It then would be wise to install up to a four inch square backing plate inside below the nut that attaches to the chain plate eye. Regular mild steel 1/8 inch thick backing plates will do the job. I think you may find them at Boat US. Thick wood or marine plastic will not permit enough room to install the nut onto the chain plate eye.

In regards to the forward hatch cover crack, I am confused as to whether the crack is on the hatch cover or possibly is on the interior liner. Perhaps you can elucidate.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leaking Shroud fittings