Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / rub rail

Author rub rail
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
12/28/2004 8:18 AM Pacific Time

At the point where the hull meets the rub rail, there's a 1/2 inch gap. In heavy swells, when the water rises up to the bow, a cup of water will settle inside beneath the v berth after a day of sailing. What should I caulk it with, or is this a bigger problem? Thanks in advance.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/28/2004 2:11 PM Pacific Time

Where do you see the 1/2" gap? From outside the boat, above the rub rail, between the rub rail and the hull??? A picture would be great if you can take one. A cup of water doesn't sound like much if its coming through a 1/2" gap. Are you sure of the location of the leak? Can you make it leak there with a garden hose?

I have a 1986. I've found that the drain to the anchor well leaked into the very forward compartment. Others have had a similar problem. I fixed it by gunking up the tube connection with silicone. It only leaked a little (more like the cup you mention).
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
12/28/2004 9:52 PM Pacific Time

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I'll try the anchor drain once again. I can see the gap right at the tip of the bow under the rub rail. Perhaps due to the sharp curve of the bow, the stiffness of the rub rail can't make that tight of a curve. No access to a photo.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
12/29/2004 7:06 AM Pacific Time

Charlie - Find a friend with a digital camera. A picture is worth a thousand words. There should not be any gap between the rubrail and the deck mold.
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
11/05/2005 3:04 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone removed the aluminum extrusion that holds the rub rail in place? Mine has never been of the boat in 30years and id like to inspect it. It’s a one-piece unit that runs all the way around the boat I do not wish to bend it because the replacements from Catalina are is sections and then replace the rub rail with a new brown one.
What am I getting into?

Uwe
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
11/06/2005 7:25 AM Pacific Time

the vinyl part is likely to be stiff and may not be reusable. But the aluminum is held on with sheet metal screws. While you have it off, run a bead of 5200 around the joint to make sure it is sealed well. Be sure to bed your screws in sealant when you put them back in so water doesn't get inside your hull.

It is likely that any sealant the factory put in those screws has broken down and this process should be done at least every 30 years or so. So good thinking!
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
11/07/2005 2:32 AM Pacific Time

thanks Bob for the info
Uwe
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
11/07/2005 5:01 AM Pacific Time

Uwe - One difference from what Bob said. I would use 3M 4200 instead. Gluing down the aluminum with 5200 will almost guarantee you will never remove it again without damaging the fiberglass.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / rub rail