Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Winter cruising Florida west coast

Author Winter cruising Florida west coast
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
01/23/2005 4:35 PM Pacific Time

We want to find a place along the Florida coast south of the panhandle that would be warm enough for pleasant cruising the last two weeks of February. Also, some relatively protected waters as we are not experienced sailors. Would Cedar Key and the islands around there fit this description? Each day we don't drive, that's another day we can be away and sail. Thanks for suggestions.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
02/14/2005 8:32 PM Pacific Time

Dear Nancy:
It has been several years since I have sailed the West coast of Florida although I have done quite a bit of it in the past. In the past I have found the Crystal River and Cedar Key area not very good for sailing because the Gulf is very shallow until you get quite a distance off shore which requires a lot of time in a small sailboat. Also sheltered anchorages are few and far between. However, I really enjoyed the Tampa Bay and Clearwater areas. On the East coast of Florida you have the St John's waterway South of Jacksonville which is said to be nice although I have never been there. There is a Canadian sailor, who will possibly be leaving his boat at my place, who is planning the sail the St Johns anytime now so I will give you a report of he contacts me. February, March, and April are top notch times to sail the Florida Keys.
Good luck, Philip & Sharon Merlier "Swizzle Stick"

Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
02/15/2005 6:28 AM Pacific Time

That was very helpful about Cedar Key. I read it was shallow, but thought our boats would be good for that. It'll be easier to come down to Tampa/St. Petersburg anyway. But now, we've committed to a trip to Panama to visit a friend there, hoping to sail there some. So the first time we'll be to Florida will likely be for the cruise in May.

Thanks for the tip re Cedar Key.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

11/27/2005 11:32 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone ever sailed (in a C22 or larger boat) the entire Gulf Coast of Florida from the Keys to Pensacola. I am toying with the idea and was wondering how long it would take. I have sailed sections of the west coast but never the whole thing.
I know it takes:
Two days from the Keys to the south coast of Florida.
Two fairly long days from St Pete to Caya Costa.
Three fairly long days from St Pete to Crystal River.
I am considering sailing from Key Largo to the Northern Gulf Coast C22 Cruise in the spring and was wondering how long I would need to allow. I am guessing that I would need a month but really don't know. Before I invested all the money in charts and guide books I figured I would throw the question out there.
Thanks for you input.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
11/28/2005 8:43 AM Pacific Time

Hello Swizzle Stick!

Aren't you guys the 'crew' who sailed your 22 to the Bahamas? Didn't you write about this trip somewhere? If so, I sure would like to read about it as I have always wanted to return there and this time in my 22. (To the Abacos)
Thanks,
Larry
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

11/29/2005 12:42 AM Pacific Time

Larry:
Yes, we went to the Bahamas for about six weeks to two months the summer before last.
We wrote about it on this site under: Cruising Areas >>> Bahamas
Just don't go in the middle of the summer heat. I recommend April or May and maybe early June at the very latest.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
11/29/2005 8:50 AM Pacific Time

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Larry
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 10:06 AM Pacific Time

I ancor in Marathon on the bay side in the Keys. And, just incase anyone is wondering it is very, very shallow for quite a way off shore. So far we are sticking to about 3 mi and closer but there are many sholes. Never have we found deeper than about 10 feet and average is prob about 5. My swing keel stays about half deployed.

That being said my C22 is a blast. The bay usually only has about 1 to 2 foot seas at its worst (gale excluded). And, for sailing season, October to about May the wind stays on or off land. So, once out you can sail parallel with the keys all day long!

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Winter cruising Florida west coast