Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Gudgeon Leak fixes

Author Gudgeon Leak fixes
Guy Marlow
Punta Gorda, FL

Boat Name: Bittersweet

Model/Year: 22/1987

Hull No. 13048

Hailing Port: Burnt Store Marina
01/30/2005 5:42 AM Pacific Time

Hi,
I have finally traced my leaking to the fixing bolts in the gudgeon/transom.

I wondered if anyone had a surefire fix for the problem - I have yet to strip out the old stuff although it is already obvious that P/O's have tried and failed ( Cammed screw heads etc)

Thanks

Guy Marlow
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
01/30/2005 8:00 AM Pacific Time

Hi Guy,

Use the basic bedding rule: always apply plenty of sealant to the parts and then tighten your fasteners only enough to get an even squish of sealant all of the way around the part. Wait until cured, and then tighten securely. If you immediately tighten the fasteners, you will have eliminated the sealant's ability to flex because it will be too thin. Think of a sheet of rubber like a balloon thickness under your part. How much can that flex? The goal is to initially apply enough sealant to squish out an even bead all around the part. You need flexibility to deal with differential expansion of the parts during temperature and moisture changes (wood swells when moist, metal expands when warmed), and to absorb vibration.

A corollary to this is to drill your holes oversized and fill them with epoxy. After curing, re-drill to your original size. This provides an epoxy lined hole, which protects your wood core from moisture and prevents your fastener from compressing the wood fibers. This is useful to repair a partially rotted core wood. When filling a hole with epoxy, it is easiest to use a syringe. Apply masking tape to the bottom side of the hole (tilt the boat!) and squirt epoxy in the uphill side while applying masking tape from the bottom of the hole as you go. Do it slowly enough to allow the epoxy to find its way to all of the corners: you don’t want air pockets.

If your core is in bad shape, you can bend some stiff wire like a coat hanger at 90 degrees and use it in a drill motor to flail out some of the rotten wood before you apply the epoxy. Make sure your wood is good and dry first.

Joe
Guy Marlow
Punta Gorda, FL

Boat Name: Bittersweet

Model/Year: 22/1987

Hull No. 13048

Hailing Port: Burnt Store Marina
02/06/2005 9:05 AM Pacific Time

Joe
thanks for the advice and sorry about the delayed response. I have followed your advice and will splash the boat this afternoon. Hopefully I will be able to report success !!!

cheers

Guy

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Gudgeon Leak fixes