Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Surface cracks in hatch and cabin top

Author Surface cracks in hatch and cabin top
Steven
Lacey's Spring, AL

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: C-22 1986

Hull No. 13658

Hailing Port: Guntersville, AL
02/01/2005 1:05 PM Pacific Time

I have many small cracks in the hatch and cabin top. I normally keep a cover over the area so there should not be much water damage. I was wondering if I could paint over the area with clear resin or resin tinted white. Would that seal the cracks? Any other suggestions?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/01/2005 3:48 PM Pacific Time

Steven, they say that the first thing to do in crack repair is figure out what caused the crack. Then after you have dealt with the cause, fix the crack. Otherwise the crack will come back. Do your cracks radiate from a point (one time impact), are they along bends in the fiberglass, or are they near load points (like the chain plate)?

I have never done any crack repair other than to use Captain (something's) Creeping Crack Cure to seal the cracks. My cracks tend to be at the back of the cockpit seats where they join to the backrest, or at the corner along the floor.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/02/2005 9:58 PM Pacific Time

This is sort of a new thread, I just finished repinting the deck on 6448. the worst of the cracks I had were on the front of the cabin top where it looked like a spider web with cracks in ever widening circles, from what looked like some thing had hit the area. There I sanded the gel coat to the glass and then coated it with WEST epoxy with filler. It worked out just fine, and I sanded and filled a number of other cracks and dings. There were some cracks on inside curves that were near impossible to sand out. After spraying on AWL -GRIP, which go on water thin and requires two coats, the first they call a flash coat, and is put on very thin. Then after 20 minutes you spray on what they call a 'full wet' coat. Well, most of the cracks that I did not sand out were there after spraying. I had some left and canned it for touchup which I did on a couple of misses. Now I realize that many of you have done all of the above, as I have before, however while touching up a missed spot I was near some of those cracks and for kicks I brushed on the paint, and to my amazement they filled and disappeared, I went around and did the same on all I could find. I think the reason for the success was that the paint, though thinner than most, was ready to kick off when it was spread out by brushing on the surface.
I was over joyed at the results and tought I'd pass it on for those who are looking for a way to heal those gel coat cracks.
For what it's worth, Al Ge
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
05/03/2005 5:20 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Al

I had an O'Day guy say he just painted over his cracks. He did not give any details to how he filled them with paint, his boat looks fine.

Cheers,
Bob
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Boat Name: Gumbo Girl

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/05/2005 1:34 PM Pacific Time

Al,

I got a little confused. What did you paint the cracks with that made them disappear? I was getting ready to do the sanding and epoxy method, but are you saying that that is not needed. Sorry to be dense.

Michael
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
10/05/2005 11:42 PM Pacific Time

I've got a one foot diameter spiderweb on the port cockpit seat just by the bulkhead - obviously someone jumped into the cockpit from the deck and stressed the area. Looking from underneath, the sunlight shines brightly from that area indicating it might be a bit thin. I've considered painting but I think the crack would reoccur. Consider addressing the cause by reinforcing below deck as well as painting. In fact I'm leaning more towards putting a skin of teak strips on the cockpit seat like they do on those expensive Beneteaus and Bavarias; I'm conscious about adding too much weight though. I wonder if there is a laminate for exposed areas like there is for the cabin sole (I know sheets of teak and holly cabin sole are available as sheets - but probably not anywhere near me)

Paul
Hobie Davidson
Titusville, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Titusville
10/07/2005 5:07 AM Pacific Time

Paul,
Beware of those spiders downunder. They can paralize you with one bite. Patch with two part sand and go sailing. It's the season!
Hobie
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/18/2005 9:12 PM Pacific Time

Micheal, sorry to be so late, been out of town, had 200 e-mails to go through.
What I did was actually sand and spray paint the wole deck, but then realized that I had missed some of the spider cracks, that is not sanded them enough. The AWLGrip paint goes on so water thin that by 'scubbing it into' the cracks with a brush, it filled them fairly well. Where the sprayed on coat actually seemed to emphasize them. I don't know that it is good way, but it was better than stopping the paint ing and sanding them cracks out all the way. The job is not perfect, but doesn't look too bad, you can still see them if you look hard. I did not do that on purpose, but it looks okay.
For what it is worth,
Al Ge

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Surface cracks in hatch and cabin top