Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Interior Paint

Author Interior Paint
Gary Peterson
Spring, Texas

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 501

Hailing Port:
02/06/2005 7:35 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone found a good paint that matches the interior?
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
02/07/2005 1:59 PM Pacific Time

Why? If it's been repainted before and you don't like the colour and want to go back to the original, take a part over to a paint store - they should have a colour matching analyser. Ask them to match the gel coat. They can make something up in enamel.

If your interior is just dirty and stained, do yourself a favour and try diluted oxalic acid first (it's sold as a timber patio deck refinisher to remove dark mold). I was amazed at the improvement to my deck. Remember to use protective gloves and eyewear.
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
02/07/2005 5:29 PM Pacific Time

Gary,

Just had a custom paint made up at Kelly Moore. You truly can't tell the difference. I'll get the custom number from my dock box and send it to you tomorrow.
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
02/08/2005 5:31 PM Pacific Time

Gary,

Keely Moore, 831-427-0211, Control # 05-174-SCZ
Formula, 1010-121, C- 12.5, L-22.5, F- 0.125

If you don't have a Kelly Moore near by and they won't ship it to you, I'll ship you a pint. Good luck.
Harald Thannhauser
Calgary, AB Canada

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22 1979

Hull No. 8266

Hailing Port: Glenmore
02/09/2005 7:15 AM Pacific Time

Did I understand you correctly - you used diluted oxalic acid to scrub your "deck"? This wasn't harmful to the fiberglass?

Harald
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/09/2005 2:21 PM Pacific Time

Commerically available FSR gel (stands for Fiberglass Stain Remover)'s main ingredient is oxalic acid. It works great. A small jar goes a long way.
Gary Peterson
Spring, Texas

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 501

Hailing Port:
02/16/2005 8:40 AM Pacific Time

Paul and Charlie thanks for the info.
jim thompson
charleston sc

Boat Name: water wings

Model/Year: catalina 22-wing keel/1992

Hull No. ctyh5248k192

Hailing Port: charleston sc
03/14/2007 6:57 PM Pacific Time

the best gel coat cleaner i have found is windex. works faser than any other products i have used and at a fraction of the cost.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 9:13 AM Pacific Time

Brother, Windex is an amonia based cleaning product. Amonia is really, REALLY bad for plastic, and fiberglass is plastic! I would really quit useing that stuff, like last year!!! I work in aviation and if Amonia even touches a window it is trashed... Trust me I can't tell you enough it's bad.

Quick reason why... Amonia reacts to the chemicals in plastics. When this reaction takes place the Amonia crystalizes and causes crazing. Crazing is microscopic cracks in the surface that over time will weaken the plastic and spread.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 9:19 AM Pacific Time

I have wiped my interior down with Astone it's sold at your big home improvement stores. It will clean like crazy but wear gloves, glasses and make sure your boat is well ventalated. Use little amounts of the stuff applied to the rag first, and dont let it get on any fabric, foam, or your wood trim

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Interior Paint