Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Radio Antenna

Author Radio Antenna

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/12/2004 12:13 PM Pacific Time

Tom,
Have you thought about using your back stay as your antenna. It works very well but you must purchase an LC intergrated circuit to impedance match the wave length of the radio freq. Amatuer Electronic Supply has one for about $350. or you could build one.
Bob
For Sail #6993
Cen. Fl.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/21/2004 3:02 PM Pacific Time

I need to replace my in-mast VHF antenna coax. If I connect the new cable to the old and pull the old one out, will it fish through easily, or are there cable ties that are tight ? I have in-mast halyards.
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
04/22/2004 12:45 AM Pacific Time

Two cents from an aircraft mechanic: For leader line, I use flat waxed lacing, the same stuff that I used to fish control cables through the insides of wings. I also use it for building up wiring harnesses - its intended purpose.. (Someday I’ll post the details of the, design, construction, and installation of my mast light rewiring job.)

The stuff is kind of expensive, but it lasts forever. You can save and reuse the portion that you use to guide your coax, too. It's is a great multitasker and far superior to zip ties for securing wiring; especially in places that are difficult to inspect… like masts. You don’t have to worry about the stuff becoming brittle, loose, and chewing through your conductor insulation as zip ties invariably will.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/waxlaccor.html

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Radio Antenna