Plumbing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Forward Thru Hulls on 22

Author Forward Thru Hulls on 22
Kevin Murphy
Carmichael, CA

Boat Name: Booyah!

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No. #2526

Hailing Port: Carmichael, CA
04/10/2005 7:44 PM Pacific Time

I've read quite a bit about thru hulls on earlier Catalina 22's. I have a 1973 that used to have the permanent head under the v-berth plumbed to two thru-hulls to let water in and (you know what) out. I tossed the old head and installed a porta pottie. The thru hulls are the garden gate variety and rather than take the chance of a future failure, I want to replace them

Unfortunately, they are just adjacent to each other and when I tried to unscrew them from their extention pipes that are glassed into hull, the gate valves bump into each other making it impossible to unscrew either one fully. I assume that because they are so close to each other that when Catalina installed them, they must have assembled the valves to the pipes and then glassed them in without needing to screw the valves into the pipe. I think the only way to remove them (short of cutting them off with a blow torch) will be to cut off the "volcanos" holding them in a the compartment sole.

Has anyone out there figured out a way to take off the old valves without cutting them off at the sole? I originally just wanted to install a couple of newer seacocks just in case I decided to plumb something up there in the future. Now I'm thinking that if I have to cut the old ones out to remove them, I might as well just glass over both holes and not worry about having thru hulls up there at all.
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
04/11/2005 6:58 AM Pacific Time

Kevin,

I just removed both valves from my '77. I removed the valves, piece by piece. the bronze nipple was glassed so well into the hul I used a saws all to cut them flush with the inside of the hull, then again to score the nipple lenghwise. I took it out in quarters. I used glass cloth on the inside and out with a paste of epozy and microfibers to fill the hole. The nipples are glassed so well that, if I had to do it again I would just put a cap on the end of the nipple. The only problem I can imagine would be the slight drag caused by the two dimples.

Joe

Plumbing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Forward Thru Hulls on 22