Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Blade Jib vs. Genoa

Author Blade Jib vs. Genoa
David Brannigan
St. Petersburg, FL

Boat Name: Nixie

Model/Year: 1991 Catalina 28

Hull No. 152

Hailing Port: St. Petersburg, FL
04/24/2005 7:54 AM Pacific Time

I'm thinking about replacing the original jib (roller furl) with either a 150 genoa or a blade jib. Any opinions or experiences?
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
05/18/2005 8:30 PM Pacific Time

David-

A friend of mine in Indy w/ a C22 wing sail with a Blade. That boat really moves out with the Blade. Although not a class legal sail, the next sail I order will be a Blade. I think it would make a pretty good well rounded cruising sail that would be easy to control, yet provide plenty of sail area for speed.

I recently purchased a new 135% genoa, and I now regret that I did not have a Blade sail built instead.

Rich Fox
SePlaire #14411
Westfield, IN

David Brannigan
St. Petersburg, FL

Boat Name: Nixie

Model/Year: 1991 Catalina 28

Hull No. 152

Hailing Port: St. Petersburg, FL
05/31/2005 5:39 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the info. Why is the blade not a class legal sail? Prior to my owning my C22, I owned a Capri 22 and when looking for sails spoke to several sail lofts who recommended the blade. Does your friend who with the blade use roller furling? Who made the sail for them?

Again, thanks for your response.
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
05/31/2005 5:48 PM Pacific Time

Dave-

I believe Ullman made the blade.

The Blade has never been class legal, and to my knowledge, nobody has submitted a proposal to make the Blade a class legal sail.

-Rich

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Blade Jib vs. Genoa