Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cabin Cover

Author Cabin Cover
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Boat Name: Santorini Baby

Model/Year: C-22/1985

Hull No. 13302

Hailing Port: AquaLand Marina, Lake Lanier, GA
04/30/2005 8:55 PM Pacific Time

I've check the catalog inventory and could not find a canvas cover for the Cabin Entry. I've seen similar items for other boat models at the Marina but never on C-22. Anyone know where I can get one? The sliding cover and teak panels still leave an opening for rain to get in, especially during the winter.
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
05/01/2005 5:29 AM Pacific Time

Mystery poster,

I don't know of any commercially available ones. Those I've seen (including mine) were custom made locally. If your boat was originally ordered WITH the pop-top enclosure (assuming it even HAS a pop-top) it has the snaps around the cabin perimeter. Your local canvas person can make you a cover which will utilize your existing snaps. Failing that, snaps can be installed.

For a look at ours, see:
http://c22fleet77.tripod.com/id105.htm

Love that cover. Not only does it keep the boat bone dry, we got 9 years out of a varnish job!

Fair winds,
Bob
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

10/03/2005 8:47 AM Pacific Time

Bob, does it keep wasps/muddobbers out? The upper corners of the companion way are pretty open, the overhang takes care of the rain but not the insects.
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
10/04/2005 7:29 PM Pacific Time

Although insects were not our primary concern, we've had no problems with mud dobbers or similar critters.

The single biggest advantage is that your varnish will last a LONG time if you KEEP IT COVERED. I don't care what "miracle" finish you use, NOTHING is as effective as KEEPING IT COVERED!
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

10/05/2005 6:20 AM Pacific Time

Having redone the teak this past spring I can appreciate that, I was just hoping to solve two problems.
J.A. Smith
Newport News, VA

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: Swing Keel 1974

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Merrimac Shore Yacht Basin, VA
10/06/2005 12:01 AM Pacific Time

Hello Marshall

I modified Bob Endicott cabin cover idea to have zippers added to the top of the cover for the companionway in addition to covers that extend past the the bottom of the windows. The window and companionway covers are zippered at the top and have snaps along the side .

I'm a trailer sailor, so I had the canvas shop make an opening for the mast. A velcroed cover attaches when trailering. Another velcroed boot with a zippered front and drawstring top attaches when the mast is up while moored. I used Sunbrella through out instead of SeaMark because of a concern about the underside plastic cracking with time and weather.

Turk (P.O) did a wonderful job of restoring the wood. I think the cover is the best way to keep the look. A local canvas shop in Hampton Roads did the custom work for less than $200.

I don't have a web page but I have pictures of Miss Kitty and the new canvas. I'd be happy to send the pictures by e-mail. The Sunbrella boot is being modified (made larger) and should be ready by the Annapolis show.
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

10/06/2005 6:35 AM Pacific Time

Annapolis really is a drinking town with a sailing problem, should be fun. You can send the pics to a yahoo account I set up for having to publish email (mj_remote(at)yahoo(dot)com). I'd like to see them, I have been thinking about getting a cover for the winter.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cabin Cover