Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Four Corners Sailing

Author Four Corners Sailing
David Sulhoff
Fairbanks, AK

Boat Name: Sundae

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. CTY7608M77J

Hailing Port: Harding Lake, AK
05/09/2005 10:59 PM Pacific Time

I saw several posts in the "miscellaneous/Hull Number?" thread regarding extreme north sailing locations and I couldn't resist to join the fun, er go - a new thread for those interested. I'll start, but the gist is to discuss the peculiarities of keeping a sailing vessel in what many naysayers would consider an "Unsailable" locale.

My sailing takes place at 64*25' N 146*51' W, but I'm not alone - Harding Lake, AK has another C-22 and I would be very interested to hear from its owner.

Anyway, Alaska is a great place to sail - very very diverse in cruising grounds. The greatest thing about sailing farther north is that the summer sun doesn't set. Being on the lake at 0200 without a power boat or jetski in sight is a glorious thing! However, it is countered by the 50-below-zero temperatures and the complete stripping of everything from the boat before winter storage. Overall, it is worth it! I'll be taking my first real cruise through the Inside Passage in August and I hope to send some good intel into the C22 NSA for MainBrace publication.

Who sails the furthest South? West? East? Anyone taken their's through the big ditch in Central America? Any Loch Ness sailings on the C22?

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Four Corners Sailing