Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Which depth finder?

Author Which depth finder?
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Boat Name: Nautigirl

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: QDNYC, N. Kingstown, RI
05/15/2005 7:58 PM Pacific Time

The 83 C22 I just bought has a non-functional Standard depth finder. There is a through hull transducer and the display is a 4" unit. I am not really interested in spending several hundred $$$ for a unit that only tells me depth. Nor do I need all the bells and whistles of the expensive units. I need a decent replacement that does the job and will install in the existing holes. Unfortunately I have only found 2 1/8" display units so I will likely have to make a filler panel. Currently looking at Uniden and Humminbird models. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, RT
K Nicholas
WA

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1983

Hull No. 11843

Hailing Port: Port Orchard, WA
07/17/2006 4:42 AM Pacific Time

Too late for Robert but I installed the Uniden QT-206 (White) with the hockey puck transducer mounted in the v-berth aft compartment just forward the porta-potti

I read in some posts that people tried the toilet bowl wax ring to seat the transducer but that didn't work to well. So I read the directions. Go figure it worked as advertised.

Next a location for the guage. Hmm? I really really didn't want to drill another hole in the bulkhead, the compass hole was enough. So I went to radio shack and purchased a small rectangular black plastic project box. Mounted the guage in the box then secured it in the forward part inside the port side coaming pocket angled slightly towards the tiller. I wasn't sure how this was going to work but it does very well. I thought it may be obscured by people in the cockpit but it really hasn't been an issue. I do need to make mention that the depths were I sail I quite deep so I don't need to constantly be looking at it.

As far as the unit goes it performs great! No issues to report. Seems to be very accurate. I verified it with the GPS, current charts and tide tables. All is good.

Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
07/18/2006 7:23 PM Pacific Time

Keith,

That is an interesting idea. How did you mount the box in the coaming pocket? I have mounted mine on a 3" strip of wood shaped to replace the lower hatch board. I will put this in when I am ready to sail and take out when into the dock and store in the starboard side of the cabin. I sometimes will trip over it going in and out of the cabin so have considered making a small wooden box to fit just in front of this in the cockpit. Then I would not trip over it going inside. But your idea would solve this problem and also be a permanent mount. Can you still get your winch handle in this pocket with the box installed?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Willard
K Nicholas
WA

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1983

Hull No. 11843

Hailing Port: Port Orchard, WA
07/19/2006 3:19 AM Pacific Time

Willard,

I used a plastic project box from Radio Shack (I will measure it and get you the model #). I mounted the guage in the box allowing the metal mounting bracket to come out of the back of the box. I drilled two small holes in the coaming pocket about a 1/2" apart, then used a ty-wrap through one hole around the metal bracket back through the other hole then tightened it up. It only takes up a little space the box is only 2 1/2" wide. I can still fit whatever I want in the pocket. I will take a picture, but you will have to wait until around Aug. 10th. The wife and kids are in NJ visiting family with the camera.

Keith
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
07/19/2006 7:20 AM Pacific Time

Keith,

Thanks for the additional information. Did you drill a hole for the cable?

Willard

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Which depth finder?