Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / wing keel trailering

Author wing keel trailering
Russ Brinson
Weaverville, NC

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/15/2005 9:46 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone and everyone give me some "real world" experience and advice on launching and retrieving a wing keel VS swing keel.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/16/2005 1:36 AM Pacific Time

I have a wing keel and have launched & recovered it many times. I have a trailer with a (approx) 10 ft extention. Do you have an extension on your trailer? If not, there's the "boat on a rope" technique found on Skip Meisch's web page: http://slowflight.net/upgrades/tips-boat-on-a-rope.html. The trick is to get the boat in deep enough water that it ALMOST floats off the trailer without launching the tow vehicle!
Hope this helps. If not, please feel free to ask more specific questions. We're all here to help each other!
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/16/2005 5:37 AM Pacific Time

Russ - You might try contacting Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC. I know he has a wing keel. He used to live in Florida and retired to NC.

Also read the posts in the Trailers/Trailering section of the Clubhouse.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/16/2005 5:55 AM Pacific Time

Hi Russ - It turns out, Howard only lives about 40 miles from you. He is also in the book. Give him a call.
http://tinyurl.com/cb7dt
Russ Brinson
Weaverville, NC

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/16/2005 3:12 PM Pacific Time

Pete and Dick, Thank you very much for your comments and help. I spoke with Howard this AM and he was full of good info. Thanks again,,,Russ B
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
05/16/2005 7:36 PM Pacific Time

Russ-

When launching, and depending on the slope of the ramp, the tongue extension may not always be necessary.

When retrieving, the tongue extension will almost always be necessary.

You may want to get some trailer guides. I'm not referring to "keel" guides, but guides along the side of the trailer that are at least 5 feet high above ground level. The guides will greatly help you center the wing keel on the trailer. I removed the keel guides. A friend of mine had them and when the bottom of the keel sat on the guide, and they pulled out of the water, the boat nearly fell over onto the dock...pretty scarey.

Most of the weight of the boat should be on the keel sitting on the trailer. Unlike Swings where weight is on the bunks.

The wing does not draw that much more depth than swings. However, that extra foot or so of draft make a BIG difference at the ramps.

One problem I almost always experience is that when retrieving, the bow of the boat moves away from the trailer winch as it comes out of the water. Have not figured out that one yet.

Rich Fox
SePlaire #14411
Westfield, IN

Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
05/17/2005 1:28 PM Pacific Time

Having trailer sailed both types, I find them both to launch and retrieve pretty much the same. The extended tongue is definitely a necessity and I use the longest and lowest towbar I can find (for launching only). I had 14" wheels on my single axle trailer that Dick now has and 13" on my new tandem axle. Smaller tires would help but are not good for traveling any distance. If you keep your boat by the water and just use the trailer for in an out, I would recommend 10" wheels. Ramp quality is very important. I also have sideboard guides adjusted in a "V" shape on my trailer to catch the wings and guide them over the center slat. This works great for retrieval.
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
05/18/2005 4:21 PM Pacific Time

Rich, The bow moves out because the stern drops down when you pull out of the water.

Kapt'n Kermit
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
05/18/2005 8:24 PM Pacific Time

Kapt'n Kermit...

Kinda figure that was probably the source of the problem. Just wondering how to minimize the gap between bow and winch as the stern rests on the trailer.

-Rich

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / wing keel trailering