Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Multiple battery wiring?

Author Multiple battery wiring?
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Boat Name: Nautigirl

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: QDNYC, N. Kingstown, RI
05/27/2005 8:21 PM Pacific Time

I am considering installing a second battery and I am wondering how most people are wiring them together, with switch or without, and how you keep them charged up if you are using a solar panel. How does the solar setup charge to batteries at once, or is this not possible? Thanks, RT
Dan McIndoo
Lawtons, NY

Boat Name: Perfect Day

Model/Year: '85 Catalina 25 FK

Hull No. 4870

Hailing Port: Buffalo, Lake Erie
06/17/2005 5:14 AM Pacific Time

What about adding the dual battery voltmeter #Z2924?
Where should it be located and how do you connect it?
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
06/18/2005 8:16 PM Pacific Time

I would use a battery switch with the positions of off, batt 1, batt 2, or both. To charge both at the same time you could have the charger connected to the switch wiper and have the switch in the both position and it would charge whatever the switch is set to. A volt meter could also be connected here. Both batteries must be equal for this to work properly otherwise just use or charge one at a time.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
01/06/2006 10:16 PM Pacific Time

I installed a deep cycle marine battery with the standard starter battery.

The deep cycle powers the stereo system and depth sounder while the starter powers the boat lights. My motor has a alternator to charge the battery (starter batt.) and I usually keep it hooked up. I bought several cheap electrical cords at Wal Mart that are used for outdoor yard work and cut them .... specifically to get the end connectors. I installed a female plug on EACH of the two batteries and for all devices such as the radio package and bilge pumps, I installed a male end. This set up allows flexibility. I also made a short cord with male plugs at both ends and I use this to connect the batteries together when I have to.

Ran completley out of starter power a few weeks ago (running at night) and this male/male plug worked great to connect them and transfer the extra power from the deep cycle to the starter battery and on to the lighting circuits.

No switches involved. Just a volt meter to check loads.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
01/07/2006 7:26 AM Pacific Time

I've opted to go w/one deep cycle batt but found two products that I think are life savers. The first is a bilge switch. It has an off-man-auto option, an independent fuse and a light that tells me when it is working. I found one on ebay for under $10. I also found a voltmeter that is great. Many of the voltmeters out there have two problems: they're not scaled for marine use and the guage is hard to read. I found one that runs from around 8 to 16 volts and that has color coding that provides a quick visual check of the batt's strength. In addition, there is a handy 0%, 50% and 100% scale on the top of the meter. I think it is a SeaDog product and I found it at Go2Marine. I can provide details if needed: [email protected].

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Multiple battery wiring?