Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Conversion to fixed keel?

Author Conversion to fixed keel?
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
05/30/2005 4:44 PM Pacific Time

Seems to me that these retractible keels are more problems than they are worth.

Has anyone contemplated the major task of making their keel a permanent fixed keel in the full up position? Seems that with a little work it could be done correctly and no more worrying about lost keels.

I know of a C-25 now on Lake Norman that lost it's keel years ago and he can't give the boat away. That keel weighs 1600lbs. I sure do not want those problems.

Contemplating a shim design to fit full length, expand, and hold the keel stable in the full up position. Tired of this klunking everytime a wave comes. It's scary and sounds horrendous, like it is about to come off.
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
08/25/2006 4:43 PM Pacific Time

I am toying with the idea of swing keel to fixed or wing keel conversion. Has anyone tried it, and what advice do you have? I have seen the photos from JM Kiel on the C22 maintainence page, but no contact information was provided. Does anyone know how his conversion project worked out?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
08/26/2006 8:27 AM Pacific Time

George,

If you hear a "klunking noise every time a wave comes along" you have some serious problems with the keel hanger assembly. Possibly your keel hanger pin has worn or corroded away and is in iminent danger of breaking. You didn't say if you are sailing in salt or fresh water so it is hard to tell if galvanic corrosion is at work on your boat.

Fixing the keel in the full up position is no solution. The keel is an integral part of the boats sailing dynamics and the boat will not sail well if at all with it in the full up posiiton. I have sailed Magnificat into the ramps with the keel full up only under extremely light wind conditions. What I did notice is that with the keel retracted, the boat has a tremendous amount of leeway. I am talking a foot of sideways motion for every twenty feet of forward motion. The weight of the keel hanging below the boat is important for balance as well. My advise is to haul the boat and assess the condition of the keel hanging assembly. If you can't do it yourself, then paying a yard to do it for you will possibly save the boat and maybe even your life if things got really rough.

Good luck!

Greg
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
08/26/2006 8:31 AM Pacific Time

Tim,

There was an earlier thread about converting a swing keel to a fixed keel. My thoughts are that it is not worth the effort if it can even be done. The hull of a swing keel is specifically designed for that keel and the hull design and construction for a fixed keel is completely different. It can probably be done but the expense would be tremendous and involve a lot of structural work on the boat. I know a little about this since I had a friend who had a fiberglass boat repair shop and worked with him on some pretty serious below the waterline repairs. It was very educational and has served me well over the years.

I wouldn't attempt the conversion on my boat. The swing keel desing has been around for three decades on the Catalinas and if properly maintained, is safe, reliable and very versatile. I can actually beach my boat if I want to.

Good luck

Greg
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
08/27/2006 12:14 PM Pacific Time

I also put up with keel-clunk but the bronze pivot rod is fine.Catalina-direct sells a kit for this which is going to be a fall project.I might even have a shop make bronze or ss rings as the nylon ones wear out a bit too quickly.
Cheers.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/29/2006 1:27 PM Pacific Time

Check with Gerry Douglas the Chief Design Engineer at Catalina Yachts about switching out keels. It can be done. Remember that C22 class rules do not allow this and your boat would no longer be "class legal" and therefore may affect your re-sale (limits buyers and lower price) if you ever wanted to sell it.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Conversion to fixed keel?