Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Fuel/Water/Food/Distance - New to cruising

Author Fuel/Water/Food/Distance - New to cruising
David Sulhoff
Fairbanks, AK

Boat Name: Sundae

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. CTY7608M77J

Hailing Port: Harding Lake, AK
06/03/2005 12:52 AM Pacific Time

I'm planning for my first real cruise on Sundae and I'm interested in hearing folks' experiences regarding the following:
1. Average amount of fuel kept on board while cruising. . . How much do you figure per day (I have a 102cc Mercury SailPower)? Do you judge it by the distance between Marinas? What if any, is kept as a reserve?

2. Average fresh water quantity per person, per day.

3. Amounts of food - probably some answers in the provisioning, but I'm looking more for folks who go long distances and consume low-volume, high-caloric foods and how much they carry on board.

4. How far do most folks travel (sail/power) in a day? Is a 60 nm day unheard of in the 22? Is there no right answer because weather is completely out of our hands?

5. What are the MUST HAVE and NICE TO HAVE replacement parts for mechanical items on board (bilge, outboard, rigging, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(I would've posted this to the Cruising Issues topic, but for some reason the system wouldn't let me. . .)
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
12/22/2005 12:51 PM Pacific Time

I’m surprised no one answered your post before me. Did you ever take your cruise on “Sundae”?

To respond to some of your questions. I keep 6 gal of fuel on board. My tank “reserves” the last ¾ gal. I burn about ¾ gal each 1 hr of motoring at 1/3 throttle and the boat cruises at about 5 knots. If I where concerned about range, I’d bring a second 6 gal tank, they are cheap to buy. I should get about 40 nm out of six gallons but if I slowed down a bit I could probably stretch my fuel burn for an even longer run. To figure out what you burn per hr just fill your tank, run it a cruising speed or 1 hr, and see what it takes for you to refill it again.

Catalina 22’s hull speed is 5.87 knots so in theory if you had an auto pilot, you could do up to 140 nm/day but I’ve never herd anyone doing that with a Catalina 22. 60 nm/day is definitely doable, that’s only 2.5 knots and if you have any wind at all you should be able to make that over a 24 hr period.

Generally the boat sails better than it motors so you may want to get as much sailing travel time as you can. Motors are noisy and require fuel… Sailing is free, less noisy and requires no fuel.

As far as the provisioning questions you have. For the most part it is recommend 1 gal or water per person per day. You will only use the water for drinking and cooking. You can clean your dishes with lake/sea water if it’s clean enough. I usually only dirty up my pots and pans, and use paper products for serving, rinse and re-use my cup for everything else. I use my grill whenever I can and a lot of meals require no cooking, just add hot water and stir…Elaborate meals are for when at anchor, while on the go it’s more like sandwiches, chips and beer.

As far as the food goes, there are a large number of provisioning books written for backpackers. Get one, this is your best bet. You can pre-measure and store foods in plastic baggies where all you have to do is to add water and serve. Deep freeze meats, keep 2 coolers, the one you use all day long and the one you only open once a day to remove today’s meat. Deep freeze your meat, your milk and even some of your water. Also, plan your daily meals using food that does not require refrigeration.

For your outboard, carry a fuel filter, extra spark plugs, shear pin, fuse, oil… and whatever else you need to do a service on it… (Check your manual) for your boat, bring a nice assortment of clevis pins, rings, screws, stainless steel wire, duck tape, thru hull plugs, sail repair kit, bulbs, some assorted wood pieces, electric tape, epoxy glue… a little bit of research and you can find countless list on what to bring.

Think of cursing on a Catalina 22 as camping/backpacking without the dirt…

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Fuel/Water/Food/Distance - New to cruising