Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Johnson 6hp SailMaster with Alternator Output

Author Johnson 6hp SailMaster with Alternator Output
Michael Slattery
Rochester, NY

Boat Name: Ventosus

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10xxx

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/06/2005 6:55 AM Pacific Time

I just purchased a C22 (1980's) and it came with a Johnson 6hp Sail Master outboard, this outboard has an electrical out (alternator output I assume) I do read voltage on it when it's running (>12vdc).

My question is, don't I need some sort of regulator before I go hooking it up to a new battery (AGM or Gel Cell not sure which to buy yet)

TIA, Mike
Brian Moloney
Gunnison, CO

Boat Name: Vilingia

Model/Year: 1994 Wing keel

Hull No. 15330

Hailing Port: Gunnison, CO
07/09/2005 12:52 PM Pacific Time

Mike,
I have the same motor, and that cord is attached directly to my battery. My understanding is that it only puts out a few amps...
Michael Slattery
Rochester, NY

Boat Name: Ventosus

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10xxx

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/10/2005 6:40 AM Pacific Time

Brian,

Thanks for the response, I ended up ordering the manual and it hasn't come yet, but I'm sure it will indicate the same.

Thanks,
Mike
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
07/11/2005 2:24 PM Pacific Time

would you share with us what you find in the manual? Thanks
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
03/16/2006 9:14 PM Pacific Time

I guess I'm a few years late to be much help with these posts.. -but- I'll put my two cents in for Johnson Sailmaster series outboards 6-9.9HP (and 15?). My 1983 Johnson is a 9.9HP with a long shaft and electric start. It puts out 12-13.8 volts (measured running) and has a maximum current flow of seven (7) amps. This comes directly out of the literature that came with the motor.

Although heavy and 2 cycle, she is a powerhouse and never fails to start. Of course I am the second owner and have gone through her inside-out. Of note, there is a special rubber(?) washer which seals the mixture screw to carb body (a bit odd shaped) that is critical to smooth operation.

Hope this tidbit helps a few vintage johnson ob folks..

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Johnson 6hp SailMaster with Alternator Output