Safety

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Lifeline Retrofit

Author Lifeline Retrofit

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Great salt Lake
06/12/2005 12:19 PM Pacific Time

I am looking at purchasing a 1975 Catalina 22 for my family. It has a bow pulpit and stern rails, however, no stanchions and lifelines. I have two young children and would like to add stanchions (two per side) and lifelines.

My question is, is it possible to add these items (retrofit) to her or since it was not built with them?

Thanks,

Vic

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/12/2005 2:28 PM Pacific Time

Yep you can, I installed them on my '82. CD has the stantions and I got the lines made locally. Just make sure you bolt them through the deck, not just screw them on!
Stan

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

06/12/2005 5:16 PM Pacific Time

O.K. Great, Thank you. Now I guess I should go make my offer before I'm left dockside.

Are there any special considerations for the below deck portion of the stantion mount? By that I mean, you have your stanchion base topside - bolts running through the deck - then below is there some type of backing oplate or what would one suggest for this?

Vic

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

06/12/2005 5:23 PM Pacific Time

Uh..nevermind. It seems if I had looked at the Catalina 22 catalouge first, I would have had the answer. backing plate...

Thanks,

Vic
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
06/13/2005 1:18 PM Pacific Time

Hi Vic,

We have stanchions for the C-25 in stock. See part #E1290 on our online store.

These replacement stanchions are stronger than the original. Original stanchions had a wall thickness of .049". Our replacements have a wall thickness of .065 so there are more resistant to bending.

Regardless of if you decide on Al's stanchions or Catalina Direct's upgraded stanchions, we also offer a couple of do-it-yourself lifeline kits, numbers E1941 and E1942. Give us a call for complete information about either.

Also, please remember to complete your boat information for the clubhouse when you settle on which boat to buy.

Fair winds,

Lowell
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time

Those of you who sail in salt and haven't replaced your lifelines - do so now. The vinyl covers inhibit air to the stainless and the wire degrades beneath the cover - you'd never know you've got a problem. I stripped off my vinyl to find the wire almost gone in places. It's a racing reg here to sail with uncoated lifelines.

Paul

Safety
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Lifeline Retrofit