Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Weights of various parts

Author Weights of various parts
John Flato
Houston

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12030

Hailing Port: Shoreacres, TX
06/20/2005 9:43 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone know the actual weights of various parts of the C22? For example, I understand that the keel is supposed to weigh 550 lbs, has anyone ever actually weighted it?

Does anyone know the weights of the new and old style masts?

Has anyone weighed over stuff? (table, sails, pulpits, cushiions etc.)

Tnanks.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/21/2005 7:08 AM Pacific Time

Hi John - If you find the answers, please let us all know.
winn

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/23/2005 1:28 PM Pacific Time

i have only limited experience with the c-22.
have worked on several and am amazed at the variations in the dimensions and weights of the boats. per the c22 website the boats weighed at the 96(?) nationals ther is about 500 pounds of weight variation in the c22's weighed. we have weighed keels and found older iron keels as light as 400# this variation from the published weight is due perhaps from poor casting quality and rust oover years of exposure. look at the bottom of the keels while boats are on their trailers. there is in excess of 1" difference in the max chord thickness of those we have observed. a new style mast with stainless spreader fittings is probably heavier than the old oval section with 3/4" spreaders and aluminum fittings. overall weight is obviously the sum of the parts, and close attention to detail will minimize (within reason) racing weight. also weigh your rudder. i have seen rudders less than 20# and almost 40#!
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
12/27/2005 6:33 PM Pacific Time

Is this the Winn who crews with Dennis Slaton?
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
12/28/2005 4:06 AM Pacific Time

FWIW: My kick-up rudder is about 30 lbs w/out tiller attached.

I say "about" because I find that different scales are more or less accurate.
~Bilbo
winn

Boat Name:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/28/2005 11:05 AM Pacific Time

sometimes dennis crews with me....
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
12/28/2005 4:11 PM Pacific Time

Winn Stary. What do ya know, and you have only limited experience with a Catalina 22, ya right, as if your post did not indicate the contrary.

Wait till the folks on Chip's list hear that you are here.

I heard about Mike Grovers (spelling?) boat getting smashed by a tree. What a shame after all that work you and Dennis did naming it.
winn

Boat Name:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/29/2005 6:48 AM Pacific Time

it is a sad tale. we had an ice storm a few days ago. the only tree at our club to fall was a 6o' georgia pine that was about 8' thick at the base. it was across the road from where his boat was stored the top 20' dropped diagonally across mike's forestay snapping both of his forward lowers and bending the mast 90 degrees about 4' below the spreaders. the tree stopped about 1" from the deck so the boat was spared. we are looking for another mast........
actually, mike just got married to a very nice lady who hired dennis to paint the boat as a wedding present for mike.

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Weights of various parts