Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / How strong is whipping twine for seizing ropes of different sizes

Author How strong is whipping twine for seizing ropes of different sizes
Michael Slattery
Rochester, NY

Boat Name: Ventosus

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10xxx

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/23/2005 1:26 PM Pacific Time

I'm going to install my new jib downhaul from CD this weekend.

I'm hoping to make it a continuous loop with the Jib Halyard.

But the two lines are different sizes, and need to go through my Jib Halyard clutch!

So I think I'm going to seize to the ropes together (I checked they do fit side by side thorough the clutch) but I'm unsure of how strong this will be.

Interested in comments... any suggestions???

Thanks,
Mike
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
06/27/2005 7:17 AM Pacific Time

Mike
:
I just used 1/4" line. It attaches to the first hank at the top of the jib,tie a bowline and just slip it over. It runs free down the side of the sail to a swivel block on the bow and runs through fair leads on the bottom of the stanchions back to the cockpit on the port side where I have a chock it works great. I have one on the main also it is a 1/4" line it slips around the sail slide at the top of the main runs free down the side of the sail to a turning block at the base of the mast runs to the edge of the cabin roof through another turning block and back to the cockpit, I have a chock to snub it off. It also works grest.
Michael Slattery
Rochester, NY

Boat Name: Ventosus

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10xxx

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/28/2005 8:31 AM Pacific Time

Russ,

Thanks for the response. I eneded up doing just about what you said with the Jib downhaul.... except I was going to make it a cont. loop with the Jib Halyard....

Thanks again..
Mike

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / How strong is whipping twine for seizing ropes of different sizes