Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Pop-Top Retrofit

Author Pop-Top Retrofit
Mike
Grand Rivers, Ky

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 22 / 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ky Lake
07/04/2005 4:21 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone ever retrofited a non-poptop c22 (72') with a pop-top? Can it be done?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/05/2005 5:04 AM Pacific Time

You have a boat where the top deck does not leak. Count yourself fortunate that you do not have a pop top. You could cut a big hole in the overhead and try to find a top from someone parting out a poptop model. Why go to all that trouble and expense for 1 foot of head room?

If you really have a burning desire for a poptop, sell your current boat and buy one with a hole in the roof. There are plenty of boats available. I will sell you mine for the right price.
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
07/05/2005 7:03 AM Pacific Time

very intersting topic on the pop-top.just got home from 2 nights afloat with a couple on a mirage24 (new to it) had a blast,especially the food.the pop-top makes cooking on a little boat FUN. passing drinks and snacks around is a snap and our company noticed it as well.moving up to a bigger boat some day but can't see a boat this small without the POP-TOP.
MY 2-CENTS WORTH.
John Flato
Houston

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12030

Hailing Port: Shoreacres, TX
07/05/2005 9:29 AM Pacific Time

I have a pop top. I don't see a retrofit making sense. Its my guess that there is extra reinforcement around the hole to support the pop top as well as a lip all around.

I'll bet you are better of just trading with someone who has a pop top. Most racers avoid them.
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
07/06/2005 9:35 AM Pacific Time

I've been thinking about making my pop top semi permanent, with lexan sides and front, and a cloth back.

It would come apart so I couls close the pop top for crossing open water, but almost all my cruising is in sheltered waters where the problem is not enough wind (Gulf Islands, BC, Canada)

Before the avalanche of "don't do it! The boat will get knocked down and sink" comments, let me say I've lived aboard and sailed various vessels in these waters for over 35 years and done a bit of offshore stuff, as well as built several boats up to 30 feet. I downsized to a C27 and downsized again to the 22.

Has anyone else made panels for their pop top? Any constructive comments or ideas?

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Pop-Top Retrofit