Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Recommendation For Tandem Trailer

Author Recommendation For Tandem Trailer
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
01/15/2004 9:41 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone have a brand of tandem trailer that they can recommend. I'm looking to buy a galvanized trailer with disk brakes for my '89 wing keel. I'll be hauling it through the mountains of NC and for long trips to Canada. It will be used for both fresh and saltwater. I presently own a single axle but want the security of the tandem for such heavy mileage.
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2367

Hailing Port: Kenai, Alaska
01/17/2004 1:16 PM Pacific Time

I have a similair problem. I have a single axle trailer but intend on doing alot more traveling. I talked to the local trailer manufacture and he suggested that I move the existing axel forward and add another. His quote was reasonable. I am looking now for an older trailer that I can rob the axel assembley off of to do the conversion myself.
Check with a local trailer builder and see what they say.
Good Luck.
Lance
---Turk ---
Canfield, Ohio

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Mosquito Lake, N.E. Ohio
01/18/2004 6:19 AM Pacific Time

My tandom trailer started it's life out as a single axle and was converted by it's previous owner. He contacted the original manufacturer and was able to order the second axle assembly, springs, and brake drums. All I know is that it looks and works perfectly and as far as the trailer goes, is the same as if the manufacturer built it.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
01/18/2004 10:35 AM Pacific Time

I think you could just by a couple of ½ stainless or aluminum plates & bolt your mast step to them. I had deterioration under my mast plate & wanted to expand the surface area at the mast step thus reducing the relative force on the cabin top & added a ¼ inch plate with a CD mast step organizer plate and gained about ½ inch. Actually stepping a mast might be easier with a higher base, reducing the hatch interference.

< http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~rwahlfel/BobVickMastStep.htm

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
01/22/2004 10:00 PM Pacific Time

My brand new 1990 wing keel C22 came with a tandem axle trailer from Performance Trailers in Largo, Florida. I live on the central East coast of Florida and have made countless trips to Maine and the Chesapeake Bay with my rig. It has not let me down once and anytime that I needed parts (even custom made parts) the after sale service was excellent and reasonably priced at Performance Trailers. The trailer is still in top notch condition after all these years of use in salt water. Things that I changed on the stock trailer: 1) I traded my straight axles for custom bent axles that allowed more space between axle and trailer frame. 2) I had an extra roller support added under the bow so as to facilitate launching. To this day I wish that I had gotten brakes on the trailer (in flat Florida trailers do not necessarily come with brakes and I didn't know any better when I made the purchase). I don't think it should be allowed that a trailer made for a C22 be sold without brakes --- they are just too heavy to be safe without them.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
01/30/2004 4:48 AM Pacific Time

I have been off list for some time. During my absence the new clubhouse was started, and after much thrashing I have just figured out how to post comments.

I have been talking with some folks about a new trailer too. It seems that mine had an axle failure when I took tit out of the water.

You might want to take a look at a web site for the co. I have been talking with. They are in North Carolina. Web site is: trailnsail.com.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
01/30/2004 3:25 PM Pacific Time

I have been dealing with Northern Tool and Equipment Co. (NorthernTool.com) for years. They carry a full line of trailer axles, springs, bearings and hubs. Some steel suppliers (see your yellow pages) also carry trailer parts. I don't know of any boat trailer Manuf. who make his own suspension parts. They just make the frames and o.e.m. everything else.
Scott L. Shermeyer
Cherry Point, NC

Boat Name: Blue Nun

Model/Year: C22, 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cherry Point, NC
01/31/2004 4:13 AM Pacific Time

It's been a long time since I've participated, but find this format to be much more organized for reading.

I've migrated south from PA to NC with my C22 and eventually brought my trailer down to. Assuming that it is the original trailer sold with the boat from Catalina, does anyone know who the original trailer manufacturer was for C22's? This boat is 1980 vintage.

Scott Shermeyer
C22 - "Blue Nun"

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/31/2004 9:25 AM Pacific Time

I have thought about a second axle, and have some doubts about what I would gain being worth the extra weigth to pull around. Would you folks share your reasons for making the change?
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

02/01/2004 12:55 AM Pacific Time

With tandem axles I believe the trailer and boat ride smoother. If one tire goes bad it is less likely to cause loss of control of the rig. If a bearing goes bad you can just take the wheel off and strap the end of the axle tight to the frame and go on your way with the remaining axle still fully functional. It may help the rig not the sway so much.
Scott Sauve
Newmarket, NH

Boat Name: LaVoile

Model/Year: 1989 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14609

Hailing Port: Sunset Marina-Portland, ME
02/01/2004 9:39 AM Pacific Time

I believe the original trailer is from Trail-rite. They have a web site that is not very useful, but call them and they have been a great help. I rebuilt the trailer this summer and they had good advice. I ordered most of the parts I needed over the web. Had a new tongue extension made as the old one was bent and would not fully extend.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

02/01/2004 8:30 PM Pacific Time

Yeah Phillip. Sway is caused by insufficient tongue weight.When I was designing boat trailers I went for a minimum Tongue weight of 10%. In our case that means 300 pounds and a tow rig capable of that.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

02/11/2004 11:13 PM Pacific Time

OK I have a question for all swing keelers. I have never had to launch a boat that sat this high on a trailer. My question is: What percentage of the times that you launch do you need (or wish you had) a tongue extension to prevent your tow vehicle's rear brake drum from being immersed in the drink? I am about to pull the trailer from under the boat to rebuild it and this would be no big deal to add if it were really necessary.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/12/2004 3:37 PM Pacific Time

Dick, I have a tongue extension and use it all the time due to the local ramps being gradual slopes (not steep).
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

02/19/2004 2:36 PM Pacific Time

Phillip & Sharon,
I ordered a new tandem trailer from Performance with disk brakes on both axles. I'll be moving to western NC and will be dealing with steep grades. I hope to trailer up to Georgian Bay in Canada and also to the NC coast. Thank you for your response and thanks to everyone else who shared their ideas.
Howard

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/20/2004 9:39 PM Pacific Time

Dick:

I use my tongue every time I launch my boat, even though i launch on a fairly steep grade. One, I don't ever get my shoes wet, and two if it's there why not use it.

Kevin
Perseverance
Clearwater, FL
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

02/21/2004 1:37 AM Pacific Time

Howard: I'm sure you will not be disappointed with your new Performance trailer. When I got my trailer I took the majority of the nuts off the bolts and fasteners and coated them all with marine grease and then put them back together. I also removed all the rollers and greased the shafts and then put them back on. I coated the springs and anything else that might rust with motor oil. I redo the oil treatment once a year. This preventative maintenance paid off. Also when I took the trailer back to Performance for some custom work they said that they had never seen a trailer in such good shape for its age especially since it is only used in salt water. For your trips be sure to go to Walmart and buy two of the super heavy duty yellow tie down straps for the boat. This should help keep the boat from pounding on the trailer on the terrible roads up North. I think the boat suffers more on the trailer than it ever will in the water. Good luck and have some great trips. Philip
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

02/22/2004 11:06 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the tips Philip and good luck with the keel bolt problem.

Cincinnati

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/14/2005 8:21 AM Pacific Time

Hi Howard,
If you still have your original wing trailer, please e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks,
Kip
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/15/2005 11:32 AM Pacific Time

Hi Kip - Howard's trailer is no linger available and is now under Jagged Edge.

Thanks Howard. I ordered a new set of up rights from Performance Trailer to match the swing keel height and swapped out the bow support from my old trailer to my "new" one and the boat fit perfectly. The extra bow support you added helps position the boat on the trailer and provides solid support for the bow section. I hope your trip to NC was uneventful and you are enjoying your retirement.

Dick
Rick Phillips
Portland, Oregon

Boat Name: L.H.Watt

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1322

Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
03/16/2005 12:05 AM Pacific Time

Another major benefit for a tandem axle is that the whole rig just handles s-o-o-o-o much better, much more secure feeling and not so much reaction to the tow vehicle when the trailer encounter bumps and potholes. It just tracks better and handles the load better. I was very pleasantly surprised. It is almost as dramatic a difference as manual versus power sterring. I converted my '72 trailer with a set of old used mobile home axles with multi-leaf springs ($250.00 and the boat trailer's spare tire). The set-up had been welded to heavy-duty 6" angle iron. It came with heavy-duty 6-ply tires, huge bearings that needed replacement (bearings, races & seals were $30.00/hub). I repacked all hubs with water-proof grease and added Bearing Buddies ($40.00). I cut the tubes to extended the width to have the trailer simply set into the existing framework. Hard part was getting the old spring perches off and ground flush. The axles (very thick walled) were inner & outer sleeved with thick wall tubing & welded ($125.00). The front axle came with slightl;y larger tires and electric brakes. (The magnetic puck actuator design of electric brakes is very ingenious. I am looking for an old-style Bendix electric brake controller.) Advice: take the boat off the trailer first and it will be a lot easier! Haven't looked back once. Sold the old axle for $90.00.

Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

03/21/2005 4:45 PM Pacific Time

Hi Dick,
Glad everything worked out with the trailer. I had to make a lot of adjustments to my new one in order for my wing keel to fit. The factory just doesn't seem to get it right. I had the same problem with yours.

the trip up to NC went well and we are nedw members of the keowee Sailing Club in Seneca SC. You described that lake as really beautiful and it certainly is that. The club is really fine. I found out about it from Larry Epps while communicating with him on this list.

I agree with the former list message. The tandom trailer performed wonderfully on the highway. No swaying or pushing. I'm glad I got it. Good luck with yours and many years of good service.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Recommendation For Tandem Trailer