Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel winch

Author keel winch

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/06/2005 7:52 AM Pacific Time

Suddenly my keel will not lock up............goes up and down just fine..............

is there a repair to the winch..or must a new winch be installed..........

tom..........
#13576.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/06/2005 7:54 AM Pacific Time

Boat with winch problem...1986.....C-22

Lake hopatcong, NJ
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/06/2005 2:59 PM Pacific Time

The Catalina Direct site just lists a ne keel winch for about $89.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/06/2005 4:40 PM Pacific Time

I am trying to fix it quickly.........

I could buy one.......but I would like to use my old keel winches.......to fix it..this is my second catalina....

have winches from my first...bought new in 1972.........

but they went south.....died....

looking for a "quick fix" of trhe brake..

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/06/2005 4:41 PM Pacific Time

I am trying to fix it quickly.........

I could buy one.......but I would like to use my old keel winches.......to fix it..this is my second catalina....

have winches from my first...bought new in 1972.........

but they went south.....died....

looking for a "quick fix" of trhe brake..
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/07/2005 4:28 AM Pacific Time

If the winch raises and lowers the keel ok, then the clutch is probably ok. It sounds like the pawl that keeps the drive shaft from turning backwards is either damaged or stuck. The best way to fix it, is to get a new winch. The new winch has a larger diameter hub that is much kinder to the keel cable.

However, if you want a quick fix, simply get a short piece of quarter inch line and mount it to the aft dinette backrest. Raise the keel and loop the line over the handle to prevent it from moving.

I highly recommend you replace the winch and the keel cable.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/07/2005 12:52 PM Pacific Time

Dick........

wonderful idea................line until fixed......or replaced.....

I hear clicking on lefting the keel..........

thanks for the temporary idea..............."too obvious"

..thanks...tom.............newmann....

Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
07/08/2005 7:49 PM Pacific Time

Tom, If you hear clicking when you lift the keel then the pawl is working. you need to see why the pawl doesn't hold the keel up. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to work on that keel winch. The problem should be obvious upon close inspection.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/09/2005 8:21 AM Pacific Time

thanks..will try to get to the lake to fix it.......

tom//
Chuck
East Meadow, NY

Boat Name: Doo Dad

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12418

Hailing Port: Bayshore, NY
06/16/2006 11:12 PM Pacific Time

Winch problem ... it raises the keel fine, but sticks badly when lowering it. Can these winches be rebuilt, or is in more cost effective to just replace it?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/18/2006 8:53 AM Pacific Time

Take a look at the previous messages. The keel winch can be cleaned and refurbished. OR, you can buy a new one. Checkout the following site:
http://chipford.com/keel_winch.htm

Note: Based on your number, I think you already have the upgraded winch with the larger drum diameter. If not, I recommend you get a new one.
george barone
coram, NY

Boat Name: La Bella Beane

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12620

Hailing Port: Patchogue
07/01/2007 5:53 PM Pacific Time

While lowering my keel today,the keel cable got looped outside the hub. When I try to lower it, the cable jams and the keel cannot go any lower. Does anyone know how to free the loop. Should I loosen the end of the cable and rewind it. Thanks George
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
07/04/2007 2:38 PM Pacific Time

Hi You could try this. Take the boat to shallow water to free up the cable and relocate the loop. Winch up and you'd be free and floating again.
ooJpiued
San Francisco

Boat Name: ooJpiued

Model/Year: 1967

Hull No. 1

Hailing Port: 80
04/20/2012 2:01 PM Pacific Time

Problem with my keel winch on my 1984 Catalina 22. The winch does not "catch" and will not hold the keel up when it is retracted. The "clutch" part does not seem to work. Can this be repaired so I don't have to buy a new winch system? I've taken the winch assembly out but don't know how it works or how to repair it.

Jon
Worthington, Ohio
ooJpiued
San Francisco

Boat Name: ooJpiued

Model/Year: 1967

Hull No. 1

Hailing Port: 80
04/20/2012 2:01 PM Pacific Time

Problem with my keel winch on my 1984 Catalina 22. The winch does not "catch" and will not hold the keel up when it is retracted. The "clutch" part does not seem to work. Can this be repaired so I don't have to buy a new winch system? I've taken the winch assembly out but don't know how it works or how to repair it.

Jon
Worthington, Ohio
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
04/21/2012 4:28 PM Pacific Time

Here is a similar winch for $57.99 that may work as a replacement: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331203_200331203

This winch may be slightly different from what you have, but its operation is similar. Information below refers to the parts breakdown for this winch found at: http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/manuals/129681.pdf

If the winch doesn't "click" as the keel is raised, there is most likely a problem with the pawl or pawl spring. They may be damaged or just frozen in place by dirt/corrosion. If the brake doesn't hold the keel in the up position, the problem is with the brake mechanism (parts AU, H, J, K, and AV). The threaded portion of the drive shaft (part AU) nearest the gear may be dirty/corroded preventing the brake from engaging/disengaging. Cleaning and lubricating the corroded/dirty parts may fix the problem.

Another problem is that parts H and/or K may be worn too thin for the brake to engage. On my winch, part K was worn to thin. I used a hole saw and drill to make a new one from plywood. It has been working fine for over 10 years.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel winch