Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Winch Handle Problem

Author Winch Handle Problem
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977 22 Catalina

Hull No.

Hailing Port: West Dennis MA
07/08/2005 12:18 PM Pacific Time

I just bought a 77 22 Catalina and the winch handle hits the cushion and you have to remove the step to crank up the keel.. Is the handle too long ? If so wht siae should it be ? Thanks Keith
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/09/2005 4:21 AM Pacific Time

Keith - I suspect your winch has been replaced at some time with a generic one that is not stock. The handle on mine clears the step by a couple of inches.
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Hull No.

07/09/2005 5:40 AM Pacific Time

Dick, Thanks for the response . The winch looks like a stock winch but the handle looks like it was taken from a trailer winch and bent to fit. It has an 11 on the side. Can i just order the handle ?

Keith
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
07/10/2005 7:31 PM Pacific Time

You could always cut off the extra length and redrill the handle.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/12/2005 12:43 PM Pacific Time

Many of the handles that I've seen on C22's are bent, it might be to clear the side.
Al Ge
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Hull No.

07/12/2005 6:11 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone tell me the number on their winch handle. Mine is an 11 which means 11 inches.. i called Fulton winch and they can ship me a 6 inch handle. Drilling the hole is tricking since it has to be made square so it fits on the stud.

Thanks

Keith
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
07/13/2005 7:51 AM Pacific Time

My handle does not have a number, but is 7-3/4 inches long from tip to tip. Can you take the old handle to a welding shop or a friend who has a welder, cut it to size and reweld it, possibly near the head or near the handle. Once properly welded it will be as strong as ever.

Peter
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Hull No.

07/13/2005 2:53 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Peter. I ordered a 6 and 7 inch winch handle direclty from Fulton . The 7 inch should work just fine and thanks for measuring it for me.

Keith
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
07/27/2005 6:50 AM Pacific Time

not a handle problem but all should know this.the compression spring on the winch broke and i found the keel down,just hope it dropped slowly.the winch is new so all should be advised to lash the handle when keel up.not impressed with winch quality so don't trust it.
fixed it myself by cutting 4 coils off a long spring and installed ok but do trust that??not!
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
07/28/2005 3:24 AM Pacific Time

SORRY folks,my mistake,the spring trick made the winch work,but,in talking with a tech at cat-direct I got a lesson on how the darn thing works and I was then a learned man.
So do not over rotate the handle c-c-wise.
Cheers.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/28/2005 6:56 AM Pacific Time

Hi Steve - Counter Clockwise will ease the clutch pressure. That is what allows the keel to lower. If you learned something else, care to share what you learned.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Winch Handle Problem