Anchoring

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Handling rode...

Author Handling rode...
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/15/2004 6:00 PM Pacific Time

Being that the storage spaces are so small on the C22 I was wondering how you (the group) store the rode so that is ready to be used as soon as you retreive it.

If I know I will be anchoring I have to spand 15 minutes every time out getting it untangled.

Any suggestions?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
01/15/2004 10:30 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1986 with anchor well, and the rode never gets tangled if I just lay the rode into the well (bitter end first, with the anchor going in last). Perhaps a bucket could be used instead of the well?
Gregg Eichorn
Milford Lake, Kansas

Boat Name: Mariah

Model/Year: C22/1981

Hull No. 10481

Hailing Port: Thunderbird Marina
01/16/2004 10:16 AM Pacific Time

I went through that a few times too. Since I don't have the hole going to the front anchor rode area. I decided to try something different before drilling.

I keep the anchor, chain, and rode in the starboard lazarette. It all sits in a rubbermaid-ish container without the lid. The secret is that the rode is rolled up on one of those orange, round extension cord reels that you hold in the middle and wind. I'm not sure how long my rode is, but I'd say I have at least 100' of 5/8 line - maybe more.

To deploy I just open the lazarette, get the anchor and drop it where I want it. the rode unwinds as it sits in the locker, never tangeling.

To retrieve, wind the reel, pull the anchor in and it all goes back in the container which keeps residual mud and water contained for easier cleaning. The container resides aft of the slide out galley - which is rarely slid out - I'm thinking of leaving it home this year....but that's another thread.

Gregg Eichorn
#10481, Mariah
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
01/17/2004 5:13 AM Pacific Time

I have been sailing my c22 for 14 years and I haven't found anything better than the blue fine mesh like anchor rode bags that they sell at West Marine. They are made of synthetic material that does not get wet and the mesh like structure allows the rode to dry. Plus when you go ashore for supplies you can use it for carrying them back to the boat. Just feed the line into the bag (don't toss it in as a wad) and it will come back out without tangles everytime.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
01/18/2004 10:01 AM Pacific Time

Our anchor is stored on hangers on the bow pulpit. The rode is run along the lifeline footings to the aft starboard locker. The locker closes with the rode rolled up inside allowing us to use the sheet winches for retrieval. If one was thinking an air vent, or deck hose pipe on the starboard side with the rode run through to a auto roller like for an air hose reel would eliminate anymore rode fuss. A box & drain could be added if one were concerned about wet rode opened to the cabin area.

PS: our galley is in the store room,

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
01/24/2004 8:26 AM Pacific Time

Paul, I have a 18 lb. Danforth and an 8 lb. "lunch hook", both with about 150 ft. oof 5/8" rode.

What I did was get two plastic cleaning supply caddies from WalMart. They are oval in shape, with a handle in the middle, so the storage space goes all the way around the handle.

I found I can loop the rode around the handle in the storage area and, if I'm neat about it, fit all of the rode in the storage area. Then I lay the anchor on top of the caddy with the flukes straddling the handle, so I can grab the whole mess by the shank of the anchor and the handle of the storage caddy with one hand.

I put these in the starboard lazarette along with my flare box and throwable flotation device. The port lazarette is too deep to grab them fast, and the gas tank is in the way anyhow. I like keep all these things handy.

I had occasion to use a caddy quickly this summer, when our motor quit close to a lee shore in 25 knots of wind and a 3 knot St. Lawrence River current moving together.

I grabbed the first hook I could feel, the lunch hook, heaved the anchor to windward and the rode sailed out of the caddy cleanly!

Then I grabbed the bitter end and quickly wrapped it around the stern cleat, so I was stern anchored and holding in about one minute!

I singlehand a lot, so I keep bow lines tied fore and aft on both sides of the boat to extra aft cleats I installed.

To get the boat pointed into the wind so I could work on the outboard, I pulled in about 50 ft. of rode and tied the bow line to the rode at this point. Then, when I let go of the rode, the bow line took over and the boat swung into the wind so I could work. I kept the bitter end cleated aft, so it now just hung slack in the water

Once the fuel line was unplugged (dirty gas from a strange marina), I simply pulled in the rode from the stern, untied the bow line, retrieved the anchor and I was safely underway again. I never left the cockpit during these maneuvers. I now love those caddies!
Don
Yorktown, VA

Boat Name: Skweedle

Model/Year: '75 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 4821

Hailing Port: Yorktown
04/13/2005 5:22 AM Pacific Time

Has anybody made a locker for the rode in the little space forward of the V-Birth? I have a danforth anchor on one of those brackets on the bow pulpit, but right now my rode isn't connected. Not good in an emergency. The guy at boaters world and I were talking it over, and he suggested I install a deckplate with my rode shackled inside. They sell a hawse tube (is that right) that I could swap out for the deck plate if I want my rode on the anchor full time, or I could just leave the deck plate in and hook up the rode as needed. I realize that none of this takes the place of a stern anchor you can set "right now", I'm just trying to set up my "normal" anchor as seamanlike as possible. My questions for folks:
- Is the anchor well space water tight at the bottom, or will wet rode drip through onto the v birth?
- For people with bow-pulpit mounted nav light, do you have any problem with the foresail snaggin on the anchor if you move it to the side of the pulpit?
- Besides the starboard lazerette solution, has anybody had success handling the rode in some other way? Like a bag strapped to the bow pulpit?
Don
David Williams
Abilene, TX

Boat Name: Extreme

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1985

Hull No. 12965

Hailing Port: Abilene, TX
04/28/2005 4:07 AM Pacific Time

I made a couple anchor holders, one out of 3" and one out of 4" PVC pipe. I use the 3" for my fluke anchor, and the 4" for my Delta Fast Set.

I glued a cap on one end of the PVC, then drilled a hole in the cap to allow drainage. Each holder is clamped to the pulpit, on either side of the bow.

When I recover my anchor, I coil the line as I pull it, then I drop the shank of the anchor in the pipe and feed the chain in beside the shank. I simply hang the line around the anchor, and it all stays on the bow ready to be deployed. Works great and it keeps all of the muddy mess away from the cockpit.
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
04/29/2005 1:49 AM Pacific Time

Don, do you have any photos of your setup?

I've got to decide what I'm going to do with my new Delta Fast Set anchor soon. I thought I was going to mount it overhanging the bow on the anchor roller -- but now that I've got Chip Ahoy uncovered, it appears that mounted there will put it in the way of the roller-furler drum once I attach the furler -- one of the problems I wrestled with last season with my Danforth.
Anchors : http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_22.htm

The first year I owned Chip Ahoy, I added anchor chocks to the foredeck to secure the 14 pound Danforth, but found that the foresail sheets would occasionally catch on the anchor on a tack, so I moved the anchor to the bow last season.
Deck chocks: http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_2.htm
Roller-mounted (Aug. 6): http://chipford.com/maine01.htm

I replaced the stock C22 deck pipe with a wider (oval shaped) model so I can use heavier chain and lower it and the rode inside. I cut a notch from the finger hole in the forward v-berth compartment cover so the rode can run through and beneath it and be coiled in that compartment.
Deck pipe: http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_15.htm

If you have any photos you can send along, you can get my e-mail address at:
http://chipford.com/chipford.txt

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" - #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

Pete Staehling
Baltimore, Md

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/30/2005 6:37 AM Pacific Time

> Has anybody made a locker for the rode in the little space
> forward of the V-Birth?

Yes I have that on my boat. Depending on the size and length of rode it can work out nicely. Mine just fits.

There is a low profile cowl mounted aft of the space. The line must be stuffed into the locker from in the v berth, but when anchoring the line pays out nicely. The usual procedure is to pull out the appropriate amount of rode first (laying it on deck) and then drop anchor. It takes maybe 1 minute.

When getting under way I usually lay the rode out on the deck so that it can be pulled in from below deck and stowed. This takes a few minutes. I usually delay the stowing until the rode is dry if possible.

I have the bitter end tied off to the bow pulpit to insure against loss, but cleat the rode at the appropriate length. Water is shallow in the Chesapeake and we most often anchor in less than ten feet of water, usually six feet or so.

I also carry a tiny danforth lunch hook with 50' of 1/4" nylon (no chain) that is stowed in the locker in the cockpit. This is adequate for most stops. If the boat will not be left unattended, conditions are mild, and it isn't an overnight stop I use the little lunch hook.

BTW: I am suprised of the talk of dealing with tangled rode. I have never found tangling to be a problem with any line just fed into a container and payed back out without disturbing it. I have used lines stored in tubs, buckets, and bags for years and have never had a problem with tangling.

I guess that the size and shape on the container and length and type of the rode are factors that influence this, but think the real key is to just pay the line into the container in loose coils and pay it out without "meddling" much. Just let it do it's own thing.

Pete
David Williams
Abilene, TX

Boat Name: Extreme

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1985

Hull No. 12965

Hailing Port: Abilene, TX
05/04/2005 3:53 AM Pacific Time

Chip,

I have the boat at the house, getting it ready to go to Florida for the 2005 NGCC. I will take some pictures, today.

David
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
05/05/2005 11:37 AM Pacific Time

I look forward to seeing your anchor holders, David.

BTW..... Will you be bringing a chainsaw this year ;^)
K Nicholas
WA

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1983

Hull No. 11843

Hailing Port: Port Orchard, WA
07/17/2006 3:36 AM Pacific Time

I had to give this subject some thought to come up with something that works. I have a Fortress FX-7 which hangs from the bow pulpit by hangers.

I have 12ft of chain that hangs from the anchors stock (the anchors horizontal bar) in loops of about a foot and a half. I use velco to secure the chain to around the shank to keep it in place.

Shackeled to the chain is 200ft 1/2" rode (1/2" is a little overkill but I got it on sale). The rode comes from the shackle and is tied off at the center bow cleat. I installed two CS Johnson stanchion mounted fairleads about 3" from the top on the starboard side. This allows the rode to be routed back towards the cockpit and kept off the deck.

I then purchased a plastic thru hole fitting from West Marine, drilled a hole into the aft end of the starboard coming pocket (maybe 1 1/2" from the bottom and centered). The rode comes from the fairlead into the cockpit after the winch and just loops over into the pocket through the thru hole, down into the starboard locker and then into a plastic bin with lots of holes that I purchased from Target.

A figure eight knot at the end of the rode prevents accidental loss of the anchor/rode.

This may seem like a lot but my anchor is always ready to be deployed without having to mess with setting up rode. It also provides easy storage of the rode.

Anchoring
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Handling rode...