Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Just got my Catalina 25!

Author Just got my Catalina 25!
Dave
Palm Bay

Boat Name: Pretty Penny

Model/Year: 1979 Catalina 25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Melbourne, Fl
07/21/2005 10:16 PM Pacific Time

Her name is Pretty Penny. I hope she doesn't live up to her name while I'm getting her ready! :)

I trailered her home 30 miles and parked her on my driveway tonight. I'm going to re-seal all the stuff that bolts to the hull and then have her bottom re-done. (Price will be $1350 for the bottom job!!)

She needs a clean up but for the most part is in good condition as far as I can tell now.

For you who are knowledgeable about the Catalina 25, what are the things I should look at before I have her bottom done and then put in the water?

The things I see that need attention are:

1. All the wood needs to be treated because it looks really gray and weathered.
2. Outboard engine supposedly ran a year ago, but wouldn't start although it turns easily. Need a tune up I guess. I good with motors so this shouldn't be a problem.
3. Need to purchase or make a tiller. Any suggestions?
4. Needs a bilge pump. Who has the best deals?
5. Her hull and deck needs to be buffed and waxed, and her windows and trim need attention.

I'm very happy as this is the first sailboat I've actually owned!

-Dave

Capt. Mark
Daytona, FL

Boat Name: "Catalyst"

Model/Year: C25 '82

Hull No. #3358

Hailing Port: Ponce Inlet
09/11/2005 4:19 PM Pacific Time

Congrats on your C25, I would join the C25/250 assoc. and read all the tech tips and forums. http://www.catalina25-250.org/forum/default.asp
I'd get the Catalina Direct Handbook and Catalog. Things to do while boat is out of water. Check thru hulls!!! I'd replace the plastic ones and all should have seacocks, I also have right size wood fids tied with string at each location. Check, inspect, test ... transducer, speed impeller, rudder pintles, motor mount, nav lights. I'm getting the balanced rudder from CD this year, supposed to be like power steering, check your old one for seam splitting. That's alot of money for a bottum job, I do mine every year and pretty easy. CD has your new tiller, very affordable. All your teak should be stripped, cleaned, and add a few coats of Cetol, this can wait till later. Email me with anymore questions at [email protected], as I don't come here often. Again congrats and good luck!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/12/2005 5:17 PM Pacific Time

Join the C25 Assc. (great website) and purchase the CD catalog! Be sure to check your port bulkhead for water damage or leaks as I've seen lots of C25's with that problem. The starboard sink can be removed to convert that area to a hanging (add a bar) or stacking locker and is more usefull than a 2nd sink. If you are going to trailer sail, make an A frame for raising the mast out of elec. conduit and save your back!
Paul
Omaha, NE

Boat Name: Infinity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1990

Hull No. CTYH5120F090

Hailing Port: Lake Cunningham
09/14/2005 6:43 PM Pacific Time

Lynn - how do you make an A frame for stepping the mast? That would be wonderful, as my first mate (wife) and I have trouble with the weight, balance, etc. Tips would be helpful!
thanks
Paul
[email protected]
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
09/14/2005 8:21 PM Pacific Time

Paul,

Check this web site. It shows the frame I built.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/BobConway01.htm

Bob
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

09/15/2005 5:55 PM Pacific Time

I will take digital pictures of mine which was made for a C25 but I can use it for the C22. I need to shorten it a bit for the C22 but that's not on my priority list. I'll give you the demensions along with the pictures. Can't do it tonight cause my husband just got finished gutting my bathroom and he's pooped! He would kill me if I asked him to go search the garage for the A-Frame so I could take pictures. I'll try tomorrow.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

09/15/2005 6:01 PM Pacific Time

Dave, if want, send me your e-mail (mine's [email protected]) I'll send you the pictures too of my C25 A-Frame for raising the mast. If you're going to trailer sail the C25 or store it for the winter, you should probably use ablative paint as it is multi-seasonal and trailerable paint. If you are going to stay in the water, you may want to go with a hard paint.
ooJpiued
San Francisco

Boat Name: ooJpiued

Model/Year: 1967

Hull No. 1

Hailing Port: 80
08/03/2012 1:13 PM Pacific Time

Just completed a complete restore on my 25. Bow to stern, mast to keel. Is your 25 a swing-keel or a fixed keel. This is very important because if you have a swing-keel, there are some absolute "must-do" things I suggest before putting her back in the water otherwise in some extreme cases she could even sink, yikes!
Lue
Kent Island, Maryland

Boat Name: Knotty Girl

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Kent Island, MD
08/03/2012 1:13 PM Pacific Time

Just completed a complete restore on my 25. Bow to stern, mast to keel. Is your 25 a swing-keel or a fixed keel. This is very important because if you have a swing-keel, there are some absolute "must-do" things I suggest before putting her back in the water otherwise in some extreme cases she could even sink, yikes!

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Just got my Catalina 25!