Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom attachment?

Author Boom attachment?
Ken Dula
Fletcher, N.C.

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1977

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port:
07/28/2005 12:26 PM Pacific Time

Hello all-
I'm a long time lurker on this board while I've been in the process of fixing up my C-22. I stepped the mast the other day in my driveway to sort through all of the rigging and take another look to see what else needs replacing.

When it came time to attach the boom, I came across a problem and I hope someone could help. On my mast there is a cleat in the sail track below the gate for the sail slides. There is another piece below the cleat that is movable and looks like the boom would fit into that. There are also a couple of other slides with knurled(sp?) knobs.

It looks like the boom *should* fit in the piece below the cleat, but that would put the boom right off the top of the hatch and there is no way to secure the boom, it could, and would slide up the mast whenever it felt like it! Also, there is nothing that fits across the gate on the mast, so the main just spills out when lowered.

If someone has a picture or someway of explaining this to me, I would really appreciate it. I hope this makes sense!

Ken
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
07/28/2005 8:18 PM Pacific Time

Your configuration looks exactly like on my C22 from 1986. The cleat you're talking about is used to secure boom from below and the sliding nut above the cleat is a stopper for the boom. By sliding the nut up and down you can adjust boom location. Another sliding thing, under the cleat is for securing the pop-up in "up" position. Its use is recommended even with the gas struts installed. I hope it helps. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/29/2005 4:39 AM Pacific Time

Hi Ken - If you send me your Email address off line, I will send you a photo of my configuration. My address is romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net.
Ken Dula
Fletcher, N.C.

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1977

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port:
07/29/2005 3:33 PM Pacific Time

Artur and Dick-
Thanks so much for your help, I think it's starting to make sense now! Now I just need to get it in the water!!!

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom attachment?