Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Tension under sail

Author Shroud Tension under sail
Scott Sauve
Newmarket, NH

Boat Name: La Voile

Model/Year: c-22 1988

Hull No. 14609

Hailing Port: Georgetown,ME
08/07/2005 5:18 AM Pacific Time

Hi All: Quick question about what your shrouds look like under sail. When I sail in moderate wind 10 - 12 kts my rear lower shroud starts to go slack on the leeward side. In wind speeds at 15kts+ the lowers and the upper shroud on the leeward side are slack. I have all my tensions set to the North Sail recommendations. I have checked all my chain plate connections and they are good. Is this typical on a C-22?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/07/2005 7:25 PM Pacific Time

It is normal for the leeward shrouds to visibly lose tension in higher winds. They shouldn't be real sloppy though. On my 1986, the bolts holding the chain plates to the bulkheads are large (3/8"?), but the screws holding the bulkhad to the molded fiberglass below the stove and under the sink were wimpy (#8?). I redrilled the holes and replaced them with 1/4" with lock washers.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Tension under sail