Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Interior wood

Author Interior wood
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Boat Name: Gumbo Girl

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/10/2005 11:34 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone know what kind of wood was used for the interoir hatch covers on the inside of a Catalina 22? It is most likely teak, but before I start oiling it, I want to be sure. Thanks.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
08/10/2005 5:34 PM Pacific Time

It's teak.

See you,
Kemo
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/11/2005 5:32 AM Pacific Time

I have a "78 model and I don't think mine are teak. They look more like a plywood with a finished surface.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/11/2005 5:34 AM Pacific Time

I forgot to mention that the interior trim IS teak.
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/11/2005 6:51 AM Pacific Time

Dick,

What you said is interesting. I have noted that the front of the boards are finished, look great, and I, therefore, assumed they were teak. The backs, however, look like unfinished pine or some other unremarkable wood.

Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/11/2005 7:22 PM Pacific Time

when one refers to the "interior hatch covers" do you mean the covers over the storage compartments/lockers? On my boat they look like a cheap plywood with a neutral outer layer. Definately NOT teak. The trim strips along the side shelves and the area near the hull to deck joint are teak. The table is particle board with a formica covering.
Hope this helps some.

Mike
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/12/2005 7:18 AM Pacific Time

I did mean the storage compartment lockers that are under the cushions throughout the cabin. I brought one of the boards to a local carpenter yesterday and he told me that the top part of the board that has the stripes is actually a walnut vernier. The bottom portion of the board, he claims, is untreated teak.

Is this description similar to the locker covers in everyone else’s boat? I will agree with everyone, however, that it does not look like teak, but could this be because it has not been oiled or treated, yet has remained out of the sun? Another question, if I use teak oil on the bottom and it turns out to be something else, what will happen?
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/13/2005 8:09 AM Pacific Time

sounds like you have a unique set of locker covers. I wouldnt say they are not original but a walnut veneer over teak is definately out of character for the early model C22s. Could be an addition by a former owner.
If it is not teak and you oil it, nothing bad will happen. worst case is the product will not last and you will have to do something else. If you use Cetol, it will be fine.

Mike Bracket
Lynn W Larremore
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Tortuga Pirate

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1651

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
08/14/2005 2:48 PM Pacific Time

All of my locker covers are made of a synthetic product and appear to be original since they are all similar in color, wear, patina, etal. But I won't swear to that.
The material looks like a heavy duty, very dense gray/brown masonite type material. It's solid, water doesn't affect it significantly(except for a small area on the piece used for the companionway step and temporary stains), & I have no problem with it, but Teak or veneered plywood or other natural wood product, it doesn't appear to be.

Anyone else?
Anyone got an idea what material it might be?
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
08/14/2005 5:41 PM Pacific Time

I didn't read all of your message! Yep, the interior hatch covers are composite, Spam "wood".

Sorry I didn't read more closely.
Larry
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/15/2005 6:35 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for all of the advice. I put some teak oil on the top of the boards and they look great. I do not know if it will last, but I can always re-apply.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Interior wood