Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Oldie but hopefully a goodie

Author Oldie but hopefully a goodie
Bill Monsma
Union Hall, Va

Boat Name: Luff Ya

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 6334

Hailing Port: Smith Mtn. Lake
01/18/2004 8:41 AM Pacific Time

My wife and I recently bought a 1976 swing keel C22- Hull #6334. We are in the process of rebedding all fittings and replacing a number of original items. I need a photo of the backside of the electrical panel as I am sure mine is wired incorrectly. I am about to figure out a way to take the boat off the trailer and begin work on the keel (which is the only item I am somewhat fearful of doing). I also have to cut off about an inch of the mast as the bolt hole on one side is ripped out. Any suggestions on procedure would be appreciated. And I would really like to have someone who may be able to answer specific questions for this year and model of C22 as MANY changes seem to have taken place over the years.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
01/18/2004 10:25 AM Pacific Time

Bill - As to the mast butt, I had to same problem a few years ago. I took the boat and mast to a local welding shop. I had them shape a piece of one inch by 1/8 inch aluminum bar stock to fit the inside of the mast and heliarc it in place. They also filled in the torn place. I redrilled the bolt holes and now have a very substantial mast butt that is not going to tear out if I put too much strain on the bolt holes. As I recall I spent about a boat buck. The good news is I did not have to shorten all the rigging. If you send me your Email address, I will send you a picture of the repair. My address in phonetics is romeo tango kilo juliet romeo @bellsouth.net
Eric Sachau
Tulsa, OK

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/18/2004 10:42 PM Pacific Time

Bill:

before you cut, I too had the same problem with the butt of the mast torn out and bent after the previous owner dropped the mast. My local welding shop was able to straighten it, fill both holes, place a small aluminum patch on the inside of the torn side and redrill. All in all, I think it's as sound as original and only cost me a day and $25. good luck.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/19/2004 8:00 AM Pacific Time

Bill,

I have a 1976 Catalina 22 with hull number 6336. I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have. This boat doesn't have the original mast and rigging, but, otherwise, everything else seems to be pretty standard.

I've found a schematic of Catalina 22 wiring on the internet or from the Catalina 22 National Association, or somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post the web address here or I can fax it to you. If you haven't joined the Catalina 22 National Association, you should. They have good materials for someone who is in the midst of a repair and restore project.

Good luck with your project. I'm still working through my own self-imposed project of replacing and upgrading some of the present hardware and all the running rigging. Great fun.

Tony Carlisle
Jackson, Mississippi

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/19/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Time

I appreciate those of you that have replied. I would be happy to have any photos you may have. If you need to fax I'll have to know when it is coming as it is on my regular telephone line. Tony, I'd enjoy communicating with you as our boats are close to soulmates being only two boats apart. I'd appreciate the web address of where you found the diagram/photo of the wiring. Most of the ones I've seen are very different than mine. Looking at the panel head on from the back the buss bar is on the left, at the bottom left is the red indicator light and the switch is immediately to the right. Where the two wires from the battery connect is my first question. I am usually pretty good with this but something seems wrong. If you'll send me your email I'll send a photo to you (if I can get it) of what I have. My email is " [email protected] " I need to call a welding shop as all of you have given me some excellent ideas. Thanks a lot. I'd rather weld than cut. I was going to cut off 1" , re-angle the back cut, and then drill new bolt holes. Then I was going to put a 1" stock of pastic under the mast step to make up for the difference. Being the winter I have time to play/work and think.
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
01/20/2004 1:53 AM Pacific Time

Bill

The wiring diagrams are on several websites. One place you can find them is:

http://www.fleet130.org/boatphotos/index.htm

Click on "Electrical at the bottom of the pagel. There are also drawings of two different electrical panels. Even though these are modern panels, they are pretty close to what I've seen in older boats. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Erv Zimmerman
Adventuring C22 #1787
http://www.fleet130.org/
http://www.crcasail.org/

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/20/2004 6:56 AM Pacific Time

Bill,

Here is a web site with a complete 1977 Catalina 22 owners manual. It has a schematic of the wiring. Hope this helps. If I can find others, I'll send them, too.

Thanks.

http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/mnl77/manl77.htm

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Oldie but hopefully a goodie