Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel pin

Author Keel pin
John Swenson
Truckee, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/07/2005 11:23 AM Pacific Time

While replacing my keel cable recently, I was able to wobble my keel about the hangers. So based on some of the forum's horror stories, I thought it was time to check the pin. After removal of the hangers, I found the pin pressed firmly in the keel and wear mostly in the hanger bores. Based on what I saw, I put her back together and went sailing. But I still wonder, was the pin originally pressed in versus a sliding fit? Seems to make sense, but not what I gathered from readings.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/07/2005 7:03 PM Pacific Time

Ours is tight in the keel. After 26 years the pin is also a nice snug fit in the hangar.

Joe
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/08/2005 5:24 AM Pacific Time

Of the three that I have had apart none of them were a press fit into either part. Note that even on a pin and bore that size, 1", if you have only a .001" over sized hole, it will feel wobbly. And that is more than doubled by the combination of the two hangers and the keel. So it will wobble. I would not worry about it at that stage, however, if you leave a boat in the water the wave action over time will make that little wobble get a lot worse, then it will wear much more quickly. Then it is time to check, but for boats that are dry sailed, I don't think it is anything to worry about.
For waht it's worth,
Al Ge
John Swenson
Truckee, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/08/2005 9:30 AM Pacific Time

Thanks guys! This forum is one of the best I've been involved with.
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
09/08/2005 2:07 PM Pacific Time

John...one more

I decided to fair and "de rust" my keel and as I lowered the keel, the damn pin fell out! Mine wore a 1.25 oblong hole in the keel. The fix is pretty easy. CD has a nice stainless bushing you can get a machine shop to bore and press into place. The ID is 1.00000" (or there abouts). And as the previous reply stated, any extra will feel like a wobble. In your case, the ?$75 replacement hangers from CD will likely solve your problem so long as the pin is still staying put.

Sail on !

Stefan
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/09/2005 10:58 AM Pacific Time

If the pin is snug and strong and the keel wobbles side to side, you can purchase spacers from CD or make your own. If your a cruiser it stops the clunking when on a mooring and your trying to take a nap! If your a racer, it keeps the keel straight and from canting from side to side on different tacks which equates to better pointing ability and faster racing.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/09/2005 11:03 AM Pacific Time

John, if you're looking for a good place to sail, swim, fish and camp, join us at Scotts Flat Lake just outside of Nevada City. There is a very active fleet of C22's there and we will be hosting the 2006 C22 National Sailing Association Championship Regatta in June. We are also planning a two week Aug. 2006 cruise to Princess Louise Inlet in B.C. Give me a call at 530-470-0511 or email me: [email protected] Fleet 54 has members with a wealth of knowledge and are willing to help you out with enjoying your C22.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel pin