Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / sleeping arrangements

Author sleeping arrangements
Richard Bernstein
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Boat Name: Trillium

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 14130

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
09/08/2005 2:51 PM Pacific Time

my wife and I just got back from a week long cruise, our second on the boat. I wonder if anyone has tried making a tent over the cockpit, putting a piece of plywood and pad between the seats and sleeping out there. It would certainly make for much less movement of stuff all around the boat at bedtime, and a more comfortable bed for two.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
09/08/2005 5:50 PM Pacific Time

We made a plywood insert for the space between the table and the starboard settee, put foam on it, and have a full athwartship bed. Lots of headroom, and we can start the coffee on the alcohol stove without getting out of bed! The Porta-Potti is accessible, and we keep our duffle bags in the V-berth.
Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
11/13/2005 7:42 AM Pacific Time

In 100 small boat improvements - I lent the book out, so the title may be slightly wrong - but it's another one of Casey's - he has a sole that you make for the cockpit, that you install (wooden cleats - like a rail) along the cockpit seats. At night you simply put the sole up on those cleats, and you have a bed if you prefer sleeping outdoors, with mosquito netting and a boom tent, that could be pretty nice, I would think. It's another thing I want to try.

Bob Rayner
Sidney,B.C.

Boat Name: Pooh

Model/Year: Catalina 22 ( swing keel)

Hull No. 5370

Hailing Port: Sidney, BC, Canada
11/16/2005 7:49 PM Pacific Time

We put together a system a few years ago to cover the cockpit that has served us well. I went to a sporting goods store and purchased shock poles for a dome tent of a length that form an arc over the boom down to the deck. The poles are attached to the boom with small bungees and the ends are fastened to the stantions and pushpit with electrical tape. We cover the hoops with a light weight fly and use clothes pins to attach a smaller fly around the back stay to the large fly. It looks a little bit like a covered wagon but gives full standing headroom and makes the cockpit a cosy place to sleep. If you send me your email address I could scan a photo and send you.
The set up takes about five minutes and when collapsed stores in a verry small space
Bob
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
11/17/2005 6:09 AM Pacific Time

Bob,

I would like to see a photo of the cockpit cover you described if you don't mind.

My email is [email protected] (take out the underscores)

Thanks,

Bob
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
11/17/2005 7:28 AM Pacific Time

A friend of mine went to the Army-Navy surplus store here and bought a large mosquito net of some sorts. *I never saw this in use, but he told me about it.* When he needed bug protection, he'd drape it over the bimini. It was only good at anchorages and might work in your case.

Larry
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/18/2005 5:44 AM Pacific Time

A friend at the yacht club was telling us about his use of 1/2 " PVC pipe that bends easily cut to length and the ends poked into the cockpit seat backs to hold up his tarp to tent the water when stored. I haven't seen it yet, our lake is closed due to low water, but it sounds like an easy way to tent the cockpit for any purpose.
Al Ge
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
11/18/2005 7:16 AM Pacific Time

I use 1/2" pvc to tent the winter cover
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
11/18/2005 8:03 AM Pacific Time

This is a bit off topic but I have had problems with PVC pipe distorting from heat when used either as covers for the stay turnbuckles or for supports for a storage tarp over the boat. I keep my boat on a trailor and under a tarp most of the time and the heat from the sun was continously warping my turnbuckle covers. I switched to electrical conduit material which seems to have a higher heat resistance. It is an ugly gray color though so needs to be painted if you want it to look good.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
11/18/2005 9:31 AM Pacific Time

Were you using Schedule 40 PVC?

Peter
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Hull No. 11823

11/19/2005 6:40 AM Pacific Time

Peter,

Yes. The 40 is better than 20 but even with that, all my turnbuckle covers looked like bananas after a couple of months. It looks like the electrical conduit will be better but I have not had it on a full season yet though so I can't say for sure.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/19/2005 1:52 PM Pacific Time

I have never seen either Sched 20 or 40 distort as you have discribed. Are you sure there is not something else invoLved?
Al Ge
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Hull No. 11823

11/20/2005 9:23 AM Pacific Time

I don't believe anything is involved but heat under the tarp. The mast is lowered and set on a crutch. All but the forward lower stays are still connected. The forward lowers and the forestay are clipped to the lifelines to keep them from falling off the boat when towing. They are also held to the mast with bungie cords. This forms a gentle sag in the stay between the mast to the lifeline and the turnbuckle shields end up resting in this sag. After a couple of months, they take on the curve of the sag. The ones on the upper stays get warped too as that stay has a sag between the turnbuckle and the mast. There is a tarp over the mast which encloses all of this that is open on the ends for air flow but it seems the Carolina sun still heats it up under there enough to cause the sag. I also have bows made from 3/4 inch PVC that drape over the mast and attach to the lifelines. They warp as well but pretty much in the shape I want.

I made a shifting lever extension for my outboard using some 1 inch PVC and a heat gun. It did not take a lot of heat to get it to bend where I wanted it. It works great by the way.

Just for info, the crutch I made has three different height positions. The lowest for towing, the next is high enough to put up the pop top or walk comfortably in the cockpit under the tarp the the highest is the starting place to host the mast. I leave it in the middle position most of the time when the tarp is on. The crutch sets on the aft floor of the cockpit and attaches to the pushpit with u-bolts and wingnuts. I am thinking of redesigning it though so that it does not obstruct the tiller. Then I can motor with the mast lowered to get under bridges etc.

Richard Bernstein
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Boat Name: Trillium

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 14130

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
11/20/2005 7:04 PM Pacific Time

Bob, I'd love to see a photo of your sleeping arrangement in the cockpit of Pooh. my email address is:

[email protected].
Joe Cockrell
Charleston, SC

Boat Name: Natural Selection

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12936

Hailing Port: Charleston
11/21/2005 5:41 AM Pacific Time

Greg,
Something sounds odd about those turnbuckle covers warping. I also have home-made schedule 40 covers under a tarp in the Carolina. They are on the sixth year with no warping. I could why the store-bought cover would warp because they are much thinner than schedule 40 PVC.

Your mast support sounds interesting. I'd like to see how you made it adjustable if you have pictures. It's time for me to build a new one. I like to mount mine on the gudgeons.
[email protected]
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Hull No. 11823

11/21/2005 8:10 AM Pacific Time

Joe,

I don't have any pictures of the crutch at the moment but I will try a get some taken in the next couple of weeks and post on a web site. I'll append this thread when I have them.

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / sleeping arrangements