Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Trouble w/ Sheared Keel Bolt

Author Trouble w/ Sheared Keel Bolt
Brian Holloway
Spokane, WA

Boat Name: Oklahoma Kid

Model/Year: C-22 / 1972

Hull No. 885

Hailing Port:
09/22/2005 5:30 PM Pacific Time

After hearing an unpleasant "thunk" on our last expedition, I came home to find that I had sheared a keel bolt on my '72 C-22. In trying to drill a hole to extract it, I drilled past the bolt and into what looks and feels like some kind of expoxy filler. Is this the "weldament" that I have read about and can it be repaired? There is about 1/4" indentation, but no hole. I was trying to take a short cut--bad idea--by drilling the hole w/o removing the keel bracket and coulnd't see very well. A lesson learned.

I am confident that I can get the keel out far enough to remove the bracket, then drill the bolt properly, but I'd like to know if I need to be concerned with this slip. Thanks.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/23/2005 5:58 AM Pacific Time

Brian, you can see what the weldment looks like on CD site. It indeed is a threaded tube and you went into the fiber glass above it. If you didn't go too far it will be ok, if you go far enough it will come out in the inner hull on the floor. Try sticking a long nail up the hole and see if you can tell if it went thru into the space between the hulls. If it did or not then carefully put some filled epoxy up there to plug the hole. Working in a 5/16" hole is not easy. The next step is to replace the weldment, quite a bit more work.
Al Ge
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/23/2005 6:03 AM Pacific Time

Brian, just thought of another way to save having to replace the welment, unless it needs to be replaced. Drill all the way up through the cabin sole. Then enlarge the hole from the top so that you have room to work the epoxy into the lower hole. That is about what you will have to do if you replace the weldment, so it is not all a waste.
Al Ge
Brian Holloway
Spokane, WA

Hull No. 885

Hailing Port:
09/23/2005 7:47 AM Pacific Time

There's no perforation, more of a gouge. It's right at the bottom of the hull, so I think I'm under the weldament rather than over it. It sounds like once I finish the extraction I should be able to fill in the gouge with expoy filler. The last thing I want to do is replace the weldament, but it's nice to know that it's possible, if necessary.

Thanks for the advice.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/23/2005 10:09 AM Pacific Time

Brian, I have some pictures of that area, which may or may not help you. Do you want to see them?

Peter
Brian Holloway
Spokane, WA

Hull No. 885

Hailing Port:
09/23/2005 12:54 PM Pacific Time

Absolutely. This boat is a relatively recent purchase and I'm feeling a little over my head with this repair. Any photos, diagram, etc. of how this part of the keel is put together would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/23/2005 1:49 PM Pacific Time

Brian, I will need your e-mail address (give it to me in a form that e-mail address spam scavangers can read it, phonetic, etc.). Also, in addition to this C-22 information resource, which I really appreciate Lowell providing, there is another resource at http://www.chipford.com/list/intro.htm

Peter
Brian Holloway
Spokane, WA

Hull No. 885

Hailing Port:
09/23/2005 5:08 PM Pacific Time

I'll take my chances w/ the spammers. Send it to [email protected]. Chip's sight looks very good also. Thanks.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Trouble w/ Sheared Keel Bolt