Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing conditions

Author Sailing conditions
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
01/20/2004 8:32 AM Pacific Time

What sorts of conditions do C22s typically sail in? Here in Newfoundland (47N) summer winds typically range from 10 to 30+ knots. I am trying to get a sense of what sorts of conditions the C22 (swing keel) can handle.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
01/20/2004 3:29 PM Pacific Time

Tim - Typically the C22 is a light to medium air boat. I like to sail in 10-15 kts with 150 and a full main. The boat is still in control in 15-20 kts with a 110 jib and a reefed main, but keeping her on her feet is a lot of work.. Any higher than that and its "don't leave the dock" or "drop the sails and head in time. Just one skipper's opinion.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
01/21/2004 12:07 AM Pacific Time

My experience is that you can sail in up to 30knot winds with double reefed main and small storm jib. I have sailed several times in 35 knot winds but should not have been out there. Anything over about 25 knots is probably not very good for the boat.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
01/24/2004 7:11 AM Pacific Time

I most enjoy sailing my C-22 in 15-20 knots of breeze, with working jib and 1 reef in, but I know that if the wind gets much over that the boat gets a lot less fun to handle in a hurry.

Having also had an AMF Paceship 23, keel-c/b model, I know this boat handles more wind and is trailerable. This is a Nova Scotia Boat, so you may find a number of them up there used. What you give up is some easy of launch and recovery (mast is heavier, and you need to back further in to launch), and also headroom (no poptop on cabin).

But if you're going to moor or use a marina slip, I'd suggest going with a heavier displacement, full keel boat in the 22-25 ft. range. There are a lot of good "pocket cruisers" in that length from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Chip Lee
John Gardner
Lodi, CA

Boat Name: Dream Come True

Model/Year: catalina 22 fixed keel \ Unknown

Hull No. unknown

Hailing Port: California Delta
12/29/2006 4:26 PM Pacific Time

How about a fixed iron keel? I have a 22 that I just saved from the chop saw, and I'm working on getting a 27 for my dad as the owner passed away. both mine and his are fixed keel. I'm wondering can we go costal hopping from half moon bay Ca to mexico?

John Gardner
Richard Krebill
Pinedale, WY

Boat Name: Sylvan

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Pinedale, WY
05/21/2007 1:56 PM Pacific Time

Besides windspeed, it also depends on wave height, wind shiftiness and gustiness, sail choice, safe havens, and crew capabilities.. There are better boats than a Catalina 22 for the more severe situations that you may have in the far north.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing conditions