Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Pulpit mounted bow light wiring

Author Pulpit mounted bow light wiring
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
10/04/2005 11:02 AM Pacific Time

I have a question for those that have rewired for the CD pulpit mounted bow light. How did you get the wiring into the pulpit and down through into the cabin??

Thanks,

John
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
10/04/2005 1:09 PM Pacific Time

John,

It was not easy to figure out a method, but once I did, it wasn't too bad. First I needed two holes. One in the stern pulpit near the light and one in the deck, just under the back leg of the stern pulpit. The one in the pulpit is easy to figure out. Under the leg, I drilled a hole from inside the boat at the center of the area between the bolts holding the pulpit leg to the deck. Then, after several attempts to get the wire to thread through the pulpit to the hole in the deck, I gave up. I then tried a plastic coated clothes line. It is stiffer than the wire, yet flexible. I measured the distance from the hole in the pulpit to the point where the leg meets the deck and marked it on the clothes line. I threaded the clothes line until it stopped. It stopped just about the point I measured. I then moved it back and forth slightly while twisting the line in my fingers. Each time I felt it hit the stopping point until one time it didn't stop. I didn't pull back, I kept pushing. After pushing through a few inches, I taped the line and went inside the boat. The line was through. I the taped the electric wire to the line and carefully pulled it back through. When you tape the wire to the line, keep it thin, but tape a couple of inches up and down the wire and line so that it holds.

I hope this made sense. It worked for me.

Bob

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/05/2005 4:08 AM Pacific Time

When I added my "new style" bow light, I rigged it off the boat, leaving additional wire that I could always cut off.

I drilled the necessary hole in the bow pulpit where the light's wiring would enter, then out the stanchion foot. I drilled a hole through the deck where the foot would be secured, beneath which the wiring would pass.

I used a piece of stainless steel wire (I have a roll that I use on my anchor shackles that I got from a dental appliance-maker friend) that's pretty stiff. I ran it up through the foot of the stanchion and worked it out the hole on the top of the pulpit (the most difficult part!), then tightly taped the bow-light wiring to it and eased it through the tubing and out the base/foot.

With the bow-light wiring now exposed, and plenty of it, I passed the wiring into the hole I'd drilled through the deck then mounted the pulpit.

From below in the V-berth, I connected and soldered the new wiring to the old/existing running-lights wiring that passes through the overhead.

See: http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_intro.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
10/05/2005 12:59 PM Pacific Time

Did either of you use single or duplex wiring?

Thanks,

John

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Pulpit mounted bow light wiring