Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Differences in Mk II vs. older C22's???

Author Differences in Mk II vs. older C22's???
David Brannigan
St. Petersburg, FL

Boat Name: Nixie

Model/Year: 1991 Catalina 28

Hull No. 152

Hailing Port: St. Petersburg, FL
10/10/2005 5:20 AM Pacific Time

Other than the hull width difference, can anyone tell me what the differences are? Is the rigging and the sail area the same (not counting the new C22 sport)?

Due to the number of boats sold, most discussions are based on non-MkII boats, what about MkII owners? Any information would be helpful, thanks!
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
10/10/2005 2:51 PM Pacific Time

The Website says "The Catalina 22 markII is a major redesign of the venerable Catalina 22. Eight inches of additional beam at the deck mean a larger, more comfortable cockpit. A new lifting pop-top is standard, with tinted Plexiglass sliding companionway hatch. Sailing additions include a molded fiberglass, lead ballasted centerboard and available easy mast raising system."

The Brochure says "To compete in the huge one design
association, all underwater surfaces,
rigging and sailplan have not been
changed in order to maintain eligibility
with thousands of other
Catalina 22 sailors in established
one design fleets."

The pop-top tilts up from the back. The interior is very open, with 2 berths at the side, a V-berth, and a small center-line table with cupholders. They've gone back to the slide out galley of the original C-22. I have a "new-style" design (1986-199?), which I still prefer among the 3 interiors.
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
10/11/2005 7:10 PM Pacific Time

1994 is the last year to get the galley before the V-berth.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/15/2005 6:24 PM Pacific Time

I also believe the shroud locations are located farther out on the deck which changes the sheeting angle ability when you are racing. The keel shape and the rudder shape are also different which may affect racing. A lot more (thousands) pre- MK models were built and it only follows to have more discussion on those years.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Differences in Mk II vs. older C22's???