Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Wing and Racing

Author Wing and Racing
Smutzer, Russell
Arlington TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/20/2004 3:53 PM Pacific Time

How big is the penalty of having the wing vs. a swing in terma of speed? Can the wing keep up with the Swing?

How is getting on and off the trailer?
Is it harder?
Do you need more water?

I'm still trying to decide on which Catalina to buy.

Thanks
Russell
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
01/21/2004 7:20 AM Pacific Time

I think they are rated the same at 283 PHRF +/-. There have been some that said other wise, but the numbers on the 22 are close swing or wing. The later models with “Capri” keels are faster & point higher (fin). Some say the wing does not point as high as the swing, especially on 25 foot Catalina’s.

The biggest factor is the maintenance, the wing is less. You will need the boat in deeper water to load a wing, but be able to sail shallower water due to the higher draft. The swing hanging down 5 foot gives you a big boat angle of stability and might be better in heavy weather sailing.

The fin – Capri keel is not class legal for C-22 events yet might be the best of the designs.

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
01/21/2004 8:39 AM Pacific Time

The Wing sits about 8"-10" higher up on the trailer so it will require that much more water to launch. I have had both types and launched them from the same place. They both launched about the same. !0" trailer wheels might make it easier.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Wing and Racing