Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Jib downhaul rigging/blocks

Author Jib downhaul rigging/blocks
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
11/16/2005 8:05 AM Pacific Time

Among many other projects this winter, I plan on installing a jib downhaul. I'm purchasing the CD kit but have a question regarding how others have placed their lines and blocks. CD suggests snaking the line across the foredeck but this would appear to create one more thing to trip over on the foredeck.

Has anyone: a) rigged their downhaul back to the masthead and down thereby keeping the lines completely off the deck? b) rigged the downhaul parallel to the stanchions and then 'cut over' at the point where the cabin gets close to the rail?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
11/16/2005 4:09 PM Pacific Time

My downhaul went to a pulley at the bow, outside the rear port stanchion base (no pulley), to a small pulley mounted to the base of the stanchion near the port rear cabin corner, to a jam cleat next to the port jibsheet winch. This kept the side deck clear. The only trip hazard was the line from the stanchion to the jibsheet halyard.
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
11/17/2005 7:09 AM Pacific Time

My jib downhaul has a bowlline that slips around the upper jib hank and runs down along side the forward stay to a swivel pully at the bow then runs through stantion mounted fairleads to a jamb cleat at the front of the cockpit. All the materials you can either buy or make it is very inexpensive. The fair leads you use must be metal where the line runs through them. plain nylon ones will groove cut from the friction.
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
11/17/2005 7:09 AM Pacific Time

My jib downhaul has a bowlline that slips around the upper jib hank and runs down along side the forward stay to a swivel pully at the bow then runs through stantion mounted fairleads to a jamb cleat at the front of the cockpit. All the materials you can either buy or make it is very inexpensive. The fair leads you use must be metal where the line runs through them. plain nylon ones will groove cut from the friction.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
11/17/2005 8:27 PM Pacific Time

My jib downhaul is attached to the head sail with a stainless ring which fits into the clevis for the halyard.

I use 1/4" line which leads to a small turning blocl placed next ti the stem fitting. There are 3 fair leads which lead th line back to the cockpit on the port side.

I will admit that I only use it when single handing or when the winds are up.

I have been considreing converting it to a continuous loop. The reason for that is I occasionally foget, in my advancing years, to let the line run free when hoistng the jib.

R. C. Luiken
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
11/17/2005 9:17 PM Pacific Time

Thank you all. This is great input.
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/16/2006 9:44 PM Pacific Time

What length are folks using for their jib downhaul?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/17/2006 12:31 AM Pacific Time

The length of the downhaul line will depend on how you run the line down the side of your boat. Figure about 25 ft up the forestay, plus another 25 ft from the bow to the stern (Our boats are only 22 ft, but if you go around the deck near the life lines, it will take more than that), so 50 should just about do it. I recently learned a new trick that some may be interested in. It requires more line (depending on the headsail you use), but it works well for me. I attach 2 snap hooks to the forestay when I hank on the jib. I put them between the forth and fifth hank from the bottom. Then when I run the jib downhaul line, I go up from the block at the tack of the jib and through one of the snap hooks, aft to the clew of the jib, around the aft end of the jib THROUGH the hole at the clew, back forward through the other snap hook (on the other side of the jib), then up to the head of the jib. (This may sound complicated, but it really isn't.) When you are ready to lower the jib, release the jib halyard and pull in on the doownhaul. Not only is it pulled down but the clew will be pulled and held forward as well, resulting in a nice, neat "ball" of jib on the bow inside the bow pulpit (if equipped). The obvious advantage is there is not way the sail can fall off of the bow and into the water. It works well for me.

Pete Kover
San Diego, CA
1988 Wing Keel #14729
"Wind Toy II"
K Nicholas
WA

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1983

Hull No. 11843

Hailing Port: Port Orchard, WA
07/17/2006 1:35 AM Pacific Time

A Jib downhaul is a must, just for the safety of not having to go forward when sailing alone. This installation is real easy. I ordered from CD the Jib downhaul kit Product #: 9B111 and installed it quickly.

I did route my line a liitle differently though. I did not use the fairleads or the cleat they provided. I purchased 3 C.S. Johnson rail mount fairleads and attached to the port stanchions about 3" from the top. Just forward the port winch I placed a small Ronstan cam-cleat (RF5000) with a front mounted fairlead (RF5005) and a rope guide (RF5004).

For me this setup works perfectly. When dousing the jib just un-lock the haylard and pull the downhaul and it takes about 5 seconds to do. I cleat the jib sheets so that the clew is amidship which prevents the sail from going over the side.

One other note by using the stanchion mount fairleads you keep the downhaul line off the deck and by sending it to the cam-cleat it keeps it taught and out of the way. In the event I do need to go forward it does not interfere with side access either.
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
07/18/2006 7:36 PM Pacific Time

Keith,

Good idea. But doesn't the downhaul line from the stanchion to the top of the cabin restrict walking on the port side between the stanchions and the cabin when going up forward? Maybe I still don't have a good image of your setup. I have been thinking of adding this downhaul to my boat but have not yet. This is a useful idea. Please clarify. Do you have a picture of your installation?

Thanks

Willard
K Nicholas
WA

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1983

Hull No. 11843

Hailing Port: Port Orchard, WA
07/19/2006 3:32 AM Pacific Time

Willard,

I did not route the line to the top of the cabin, just for the reason you mentioned. It goes from the stanchion down to the a cam cleat in front of the port winch. My winch is just above the forward part of the coaming pocket. So I mounted the cam cleat forward the winch just far enough so there is no interference with the jib sheets. This works very well and allows me to go forward with no restrictions.

I will take a picture, but you will have to wait until around Aug. 10th. The wife and kids are in NJ visiting family with the camera.

Keith
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

07/19/2006 7:49 AM Pacific Time

Keith,

Thanks for the additional information. Now I understand. I had assumed you were referring to the jib halyard winch mounted on top of the cabin. How did you locate the block at the jib forestay to transfer the line over to the stanchion? I do not want to drill a hole in the deck.

Thanks

Willard
David F.
Abilene, TX

Boat Name: Clair de Lune

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 6140

Hailing Port: Fort Phantom Lake
07/19/2006 2:53 PM Pacific Time

Willard,

On the stemhead, where your forestay attaches, there should be an extra hole you can attach the downhaul block to. Shouldn't have to drill any holes at all.

David
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

07/20/2006 7:43 AM Pacific Time

David,
Thanks for the information. I was hoping that would be the case.

I notice that there are several holes on the stemhead. My forestay is attached to the most aft hole by the PO. Can this be attached to any of the other holes? Or is there a reason it is attached to this one? I just aligned up my mast and now realize that the very top leech edge of the Genoa wants to hang on the mast when jibing. This may be the reason that the mast was not exactly vertical. I was thinking of moving the forestay to the furthest out hole on the stemhead and then readjusting the mast. Any other suggestions?

Willard
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
07/20/2006 10:39 AM Pacific Time

Attach your forestay to the forward hole, your jib/genoa to the middle one, and your downhaul block to the aft one. Previous owner just took the easy way out so he would not have to loosen shrouds!
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/20/2006 11:12 PM Pacific Time

For all you really need to know about setting this up, see Fleet 20's excellent newsletter - technical tips. Dale Mack is a god!

Paul
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/20/2006 11:30 PM Pacific Time

For all you really need to know about setting this up, see Fleet 20's excellent newsletter - technical tips. Dale Mack is a god!

Paul
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

07/22/2006 6:44 AM Pacific Time

Paul,

Thanks for the advice. How does one go about locating the Fleet 20 newsletter?
Michael Dekoekkoek
San Francisco

Boat Name: Yellow Brick Road

Model/Year: 1972 C22

Hull No. 1227

Hailing Port:
07/22/2006 12:51 PM Pacific Time

After reading Paul's post, I found the fleet 20 site at: http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/

I hope it's ok to post that, not being a member of Fleet 20, but I assume since it's not password protected that Fleet 20 is providing their helpful knowledge to the Catalina ownership as a whole.

I've been browsing all sorts of Catalina sites for the past couple years looking for technical advice on the many upgrades I'd like to make, and was amazed at all the useful information provided in the Technical Tips section of that site. Dale Mack has definitely provided the best resource I've seen yet. Specifically, the Jib Downhall article is here: http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/news/rpts/200511/200511.htm#Jib_Downhaul

Michael

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Jib downhaul rigging/blocks