Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Any differences in the swing keels?

Author Any differences in the swing keels?
Kip C
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Knot Work / Quietude

Model/Year: '86 Cat 22 / '90 Cat 25

Hull No. 13358 / 6021

Hailing Port: Brookville Lake, Indiana
11/20/2005 8:13 AM Pacific Time

Are there any differences in the shape or thicknesses of the swing keel from the early models to the later models?
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
11/21/2005 4:56 AM Pacific Time

Early boats were 15 - 15.5" later boats were 16.5" thick. Since the quality control of the casings was limited, my old keel measured close to 17" thick. They are all supposed to weigh about 550#, however I suspect the thicker keels is one reason later model boats tend to be heaver.

Cheers,

B
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
11/21/2005 5:40 AM Pacific Time

I've been looking into this recently and learned a few things. The prior post is correct in that there was a lot of variation year-over-year. The CD keel video makes this point and includes a template if you want to bring your keel, apparently within class limits, up to a thicker size.

Also, I saw a web site from a Cat-22 owner wherein he describes adding an addition 75# of weight to the end of his keep for stability. I think this would make the boat non-class legal fo racing but if that's not your thing and you're not worried about it being an issue at resale you could consider it. If you want, I could probably dig out the URL.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
11/21/2005 8:52 PM Pacific Time

It is correct that there is variance in shape. The Chief Measurer of the C22 NSA has been studying and keeping records of the differences. During the 2006 Nationals scheduled at Scotts Flat Lake, CA June 19th to the 22nd, we will be taking measurements of keels just as a reference for the Chief Measurer. If you are interested in information gathered at the Nationals in 06 give me a call at 530-470-0511 or e-mail [email protected]

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Any differences in the swing keels?