Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Stainless Hardware Issues

Author Stainless Hardware Issues
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
01/23/2004 12:45 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone else have problems with rust of their stainless parts and what to do about it????? I own a 1990 salt water C22. I keep the boat on a trailer and wash if off with fresh water each time it is pulled out. I have had problems with rust of the factory installed stainless hardware since the day I bought the boat new. The week I bought the boat two of the stanchions bases started rusting. I even took the boat back to the dealer who cleaned them up but the rust just came back later. Over the years the stanchions have gotten worse and other items have started to show signs of discoloration and rust (especially around welds). I don't want to become a slave to the boat (continually polishing) so I have even considered replacing all the affected items but that would be a major project. None of the after sale items that I have bought from West Marine or Catalina Direct have showed any signs of rusting. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to cure this problem??
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
01/31/2004 8:57 PM Pacific Time

This is the forth time I've tried to answer this. Here we go. Stainless is a funny material. it's actually fairly soft. If you scrub (for lack of a better word) it with a wire buush or steel wool that is made with mild steel, ferrous molecules are imbedded in the stainless causing rust. If you pick up a grinder that has been used to grind mild steel and then grind stainless with it, the stainless will rust for the same reason. I retired from 20 years in a cannery as a millwright. During those years we changed from a world of everything mild steel to everything stainless. It was quite a learning curve. I had to keep my mild steel tools separate from stainless tools. You can buy stainless brushes from welding supply stores and I even saw them at Wal Mart in the paint dept. or you can use brass brushes. brass scrubbing pads are at any grocery store. Anyway that is my guess on what happened to your stainless.
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
02/01/2004 7:17 AM Pacific Time

They're several different grades of stainless steel. If you go to this website, it could possibly answer your question; www.ssina.com/faq. I hope this helps.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
02/20/2004 6:40 AM Pacific Time

Phillip, I was recently turned onto a product called Easy Dab for cleaning the surface rust off Stainless after hearing just how good it was I tried it. You can find out where you can get it by calling (800 NAT CHEM ) giving them you city,state info, they will offer you a retailer in your area. Does it work? Does it ever!!
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
02/21/2004 1:22 AM Pacific Time

Ken: Thanks for the information. Does the product also help prevent the rust from coming back or does it just remove the existing rust? Let us know and we will check it out. Thanks, Philip
KP
florence, ky

Boat Name: mastmatic

Model/Year: 81 cat 22

Hull No. 9862

Hailing Port: ohio
03/04/2004 5:11 PM Pacific Time

Phil and Sharon,

I am afraid Dick is correct. Some ferrous (iron) is embedded in your s steel. You could try to passivate the steel. Passivation could remove the iron. It involves using an acid wash of stainless. Various acids are used and most are nasty and can burn. You could try the organic acid citric acid which is not as nasty as most.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/119806.html for basic information. Where I work we make salt water solutions and the passivated stainless 10000 gallon tanks do not rust.

Maybe Dick will respond with more info.

Hope this will help.

KP

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Stainless Hardware Issues