Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Attaching Turning Block To Deck

Author Attaching Turning Block To Deck
Colin Abbey
Penticton, British Columbia

Boat Name: Will o' The Wisp

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8276

Hailing Port: Penticton
12/03/2005 6:28 PM Pacific Time

I am planning to lead my main halyard (external) back to the cockpit. I will have to attach the block at the foot of the mast directly to the deck. What type/size block would be best and what method should I use to attach it to the deck.
Appreciate your help
Thanks
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/04/2005 5:28 AM Pacific Time

Have you considered drilling a hole in the aft ear of the mast step and attaching a block via a shackle, with the clevis pin going thorugh the hole you drill? I did that for my reefing lines and it works well.

I'd use a ball bearing block with a 1-1.5" sheave. It should be able to swivel to exactly line up with the direction of the halyard.

Also, make sure you check on the position of the halyard on the deck. Will it interfere with anything? The new styles have a pulley at the bottom of the mast (internal halyard), which goes to line organizer about 14" from the mast, and the lines are lead straight back to the winch outside the teak hand hold.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
12/04/2005 2:00 PM Pacific Time

Colin, my '22 has dual blocks bolted directly to the mast near the base from which they lead outboard to near the outside of the cabin roof to a couple of blocks and then back to mechanical spring cleats on the aft end of the cabin roof. When I take the mast down, this allows me to keep the halyards with the mast un-tangled.
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
12/04/2005 3:11 PM Pacific Time

I try not to drill any more holes in the boat or mast than absolutely needed. For my turning block at the mast I use a mast base plate with a number of holes in it. Blocks can be easily attached or changed as needed. This plate fits under the tabernacle (that gadget that holds the base of the mast). I unbolted it, put down the base plate with claulk and a longer bolt for one of the holes and put everything together again. The base plate has one end slightly higher than the other, and the should go toward the bow. Otherwise the mast hits it when the mast is lowered. I wouldn't consider any other arrangement that I have seen.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Attaching Turning Block To Deck