Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Whisker Pole Handling

Author Whisker Pole Handling
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
01/23/2004 2:23 PM Pacific Time

I have a question for all of you who have ever used a twelve foot whisker pole.

After hearing my foredeck person complain about the end fitting on my 2 inch x 12 ft whisker pole for the whole Fun N Sun regatta, I am thinking of changing it back to a spring loaded clip from the present reaching strut "whisker" My original concern was that the spring loaded clip had to be pulled (and held) open with one hand, while dropping the sheet in with the other. This left no hands to hold the pole. However, the "whisker" can be inserted into the loop of the genoa sheet with one hand while holding the sail with the other. The problem with the latter is that when jibing, the off wind sheet must be held taut or the loop will fall off the "whisker."
If, however, the pole has a spring loaded clip, it will not drop off the sheet until the pin is pulled. The foredeck person can then concentrate on getting the pole jibed through the foretriangle and not have to worry about the pole and sheet prematurely parting company.

So my question is, if you have the spring loaded clip end fitting, how do you attach the pole to the genoa sheet with only two hands? Only experienced foredeck persons need reply.
Tom Kiernan
Suisun, Calif

Boat Name: Aint She Sweet

Model/Year: C22/92

Hull No. 15262

Hailing Port: Richmond/SF Bay
01/26/2004 10:09 AM Pacific Time

Dick,
I've only used the Wisker Pole about 15 times as I don't like going wing n wing solo unless everything looks just right and will stay that way for awhile, so not sure if that's enough experience. I set the autohelm, release the jib sheets, go onto the foredeck. Grab the sheet, rest the pole on the bow pulpit windward, then kneeling on the deck attach the non-pole extending side spring clip to a small pendant loop on the clew. I release the sail forward, extend the pole and lock, stand up and clip onto the mast. Return to the cockpit and wench in the sheet. Is this close to what you wanted to hear about?
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
01/27/2004 6:25 AM Pacific Time

Dick,

As you know, I use the aft of the mast whisker pole illegal technique single-handing without auto helm. However since I clip & slide on the sheet my thinking is this might work from the foredeck.

If one were to hold the pole aft, the skipper could hook the pole to the sheet leaving the foredeck person to only hold the pole & mount to the mast ring as the slipper adjusts the sheet. This would require resetting the sheet on each tack by hooking outside of the sheet knot on the Genoa. My pole does slide easily on the sheets with the clip type end and seems to have no problem staying in place when the sheet is pulled in.

Yes I know I am not a “qualified” foredeck hand;^0.

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

RJ Tazelaar
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Gecko

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. 12180

Hailing Port: Percy Priest Yacht Club
02/12/2004 1:10 PM Pacific Time

I put a 6" pigtail on each clip, with a knot in the end. The bowman can pull/hold the clip open and hold the pole with one hand. The other hand is free to handle the genoa sheet. We use a 2" diameter pole as well.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/12/2004 3:41 PM Pacific Time

I ordered a new 6-12 2 inch Forespar pole with piston end fittings on both ends. I had a gift certificate just burning a hole in my wallet and Sailnet had them on sale It came with 6 inch loops attached to the triggers. I tied a piece of 1/8 line between the loops, so there is a knot at the end of each loop. The line can also be used to trip the pole off the genoa when we are ready for a takedown. I think the foredeck will be a happier camper, knowing the genoa will not separate from the pole, until he wants it to. I guess there are no excuses for a blown jibe. (Unless of course the skipper fails to turn the boat properly.)

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/05/2004 9:51 AM Pacific Time

I am now the owner of Dick's old Whisker pole and 150 genoa. For Sail has never had a whisker pole, so I need to know at what height off the deck does it attach to the mast. Is there a recommended Genoa line length X 2 or is it a continuous loop around the back of the mast. Is there a preferred connector on the mast and track? Thanks!!

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Whisker Pole Handling