Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / inboard motor well

Author inboard motor well
don
eastsound wa

Boat Name: nibblet

Model/Year: 22 / 78

Hull No.

Hailing Port: eastsound wa
12/20/2005 5:37 PM Pacific Time

Has any on tried to install with a motor well in the center of the cockpit? i did see one on a boat but could not get any info from the web site. can it be done on a 77?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
12/21/2005 6:15 AM Pacific Time

Don, The best advice for you on that question is don't. You would have to cut through the cocpit floor and then create a well through the hull, make it watertight and you risk the structural integrity, not to mention balance of your boat. I worked with a guy who used one of my machine sheds for years as a fiberglass boat repair facility and learned more than I ever wanted to know about that stuff. I was looking at the BOAT website and they installed a small diesel engine in the back of their cockpit. I have no idea what it drives or how. To me, there isn't very much room in a '22 anyway why would you want to sacrifice some of it for an engine that can be easily mounted on the stern with soooooooooo much less trouble?

Greg
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/21/2005 12:18 PM Pacific Time

I think it would be great to have and in board motor. Putting outboards in and out of a well in the cockpit might not be bad, then a foam covered with some glass as a plug to fair the bottom of the boat and clean the cockpit while sailing. I don't think it would be class legal, for racing, but for cruiseing it would be great.
Al Ge
don
eastsound wa

Boat Name: nibblet

Model/Year: 22 / 78

Hull No.

Hailing Port: eastsound wa
12/21/2005 6:58 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the info.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
12/22/2005 7:04 PM Pacific Time

Al and Don, I used to know a bunch of people who had Cal 20's which has the motor in a well. They were not happy with the fumes that came up into the cockpit. Maybe you should do more research. Dick

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/22/2005 11:29 PM Pacific Time

My previous boat (an Islander 24) had a motor well inside the aft lazerette. The thing I disliked the most about it was you can not tilt the motor up and get it out of the water. This creates more drag when sailing and is a real pain when moored. I usually removed the engine and stored it inside the cabin when moored. I MUCH prefer the ease of tilting it up, fresh-water washing it, and you're done. Just one opinion.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / inboard motor well