Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Shopping for Handheld GPS

Author Shopping for Handheld GPS
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
12/23/2005 9:07 AM Pacific Time

I'm planning on buying a new GPS early in the coming year to replace my aging old one.

I'm tentatively looking at the Magellan Sportrak Pro Marine or the Garmin GPS76.

Can someone please share their recommendations, experiences, "must have" features, pros/cons, opinions, editorial comments or anecdotes.

I'm sort of bewildered. Same old story - I don't want to break the bank but I am willing to shell out some $ to get something that is reliable, fiunctional, adds to my level of safety, etc. I fear most ending up with something that will find a restaurant for me everytime, but ends up getting me lost at sea..........
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/23/2005 10:40 AM Pacific Time

I have a Garmin iQue3600 PDA with Blue Charts. It is fantastic. Don't buy a GPS that doesn't have mapping. I shows your location on the map with an error circle around the boat icon. It consistently puts me in the middle of any channel I sail to.

While mine isn't waterproof, it would be best to get one that is.

If you get a current waterproof mapping GPS with some extra ocean charts, I doubt if you could go wrong.
Larry Brand
Providence, Rhode Island

Boat Name: Prost!

Model/Year: C22/1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Providence
12/24/2005 5:24 AM Pacific Time

I have a Lowrance H2O and I love it -- it has mapping, the memory is expandable, and you can easily save everything to a PC.

Larry Brand
Providence, Rhode Island

Boat Name: Prost!

Model/Year: C22/1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Providence
12/24/2005 5:25 AM Pacific Time

btw -- it is waterproof and less expensive than others....
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
12/24/2005 6:43 AM Pacific Time

First off if you are going to get a GPS expect to spend some money and don't be a cheap skate about it. You will probably only actually NEED it a small percentage of the time, however, when you do need it you will find a good one worth every cent that you spent.
I have owned several Garmin GPS products and swear by them. The products are good; the software is good; the updates are good; and their technical support if very good also.
I would only recommend a handheld waterproof Gps with color mapping abilities!!!!!!
I currently own two Garmin GPSMAP 60CSs and both my wife and I are extremely satisfied with them! They guided us to and around the Bahamas and we have also used them extensively in the dense fog in Maine.
We would have preferred to purchase one of the new and improved Garmin GPSMAP 76CSs however the launching of the product occurred two weeks after our departure date for the Bahamas.
Things to look for when shopping:
Waterproof (Garmin units actually float)
Large memory
Largest possible screen
Color mapping (in other words underwater charting)
Length of time batteries last
Ability to use both disposable batteries and the 12 volt system.
Also be aware that the charting software tends to be rather expensive.
Bite the bullet --- send the money if you really need it --- and you will be Very thankful that it is there to get you out of trouble when you need it.
PS: Both you AND your crew need to practice with it so it isn't totally foreign to you when the real need arises.

Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
12/24/2005 8:48 AM Pacific Time

I second what Phillip said. I have a Garmin 76S. (non color screen.) It is very hard to see, especially if you wear polarized glasses. It has a screen that can be backlit, but at the expense of battery life. If I had it to do over again, I would save my pennies a little longer til I could afford the 76CS.

I also concur with Phillip on his recommendation that all folks on the boat (especially the adults) know how to use the basic functions, especially the MOB (man over board) feature.

We were on a lake when a terrible squall hit. I could see about 5 ft. With the tiller in on hand and the GPS in the other, we were able to find the channel off the lake, that led to the launch ramp. Without it, we would have been hopeless lost. The shore line was high grass, that all looked the same (when you could see it.)

Finally, make sure you budget for marine chart software that you can upload to the handheld unit. The ads may say it comes with marine charts, but they are very very basic. You need the details that come with actual charts of the area in which you sail.

You want a specific recommendation, so here it is.

Garmin MAP76CS and Mapsource Americas Blue Chart with the area in which you sail, unlocked.
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

12/24/2005 3:39 PM Pacific Time

Thank you, Michael, Larry, Phillip, Sharon and Dick! The advise is much appreciated!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/25/2005 3:35 AM Pacific Time

Philip Merlier's advice, and Dick King's recommendations are right on target, from my experience.

I first bought a Garmin Map76S, the unlock code for my local sailing grounds (Cape Cod to Cape Ann), and loved it -- was very impressed with its detailed charting and and ease of use (after a little experience). One day a couple of years back, I navigated in dense fog all the way up from the South Shore, across the 15-mile wide Boston Harbor shipping channel, and right to my mooring in Marblehead "IFR" blind, and was spot-on arriving at every sea bouy enroute.
See: http://www.chipford.com/graphics/plym03.jpg

Before my first Coast of Maine cruise in 2004, I decided to buy another handheld as a backup, but Garmin had just come out with its Map76CS -- color, much more memory, faster refresh rate, and greater battery life; for more money than I'd planned to spend for a backup. I sprung for it nonetheless, and have never regretted that decision -- the Map76S became my backup instead. That color screen is a 150 percent anyway improvement!

Garmin allows use of Bluechart unlock codes on two units at no additional charge (which is significant but a worthy investment) from the initial unit, so uploading the charts didn't cost anything additional.

While on my extended cruises, I bring along my laptop loaded with Garmin's Mapsource software and its Bluechart CD. This way I can plot my course for the next day right on the laptop (typing in waypoint names etc. is much easier than using the alpha-numeric up-down selection process on the GPS unit) once I end up wherever I end up earlier that day, then just upload my next day's waypoints and route.

Before the first Maine cruise, I wired the boat so either of the GPSs and the ICOM MC-402 VHF radio talk to each other. In an emergency, I can now flip the red cover and hit the "DSC" button on the VHF and send out an automatic Mayday which also provides my longitude/latitude position, plus the GPS power/data cable is hard-wired to 12V power and no longer needs my earlier connection to the "cigaret lighter" adapter.
See: http://www.chipford.com/graphics/gps_dsc.jpg

One additional word of advice. A GPS should be used only as an addition to old-fashioned navigation. I suspect too many depend too much, too often on simply having a GPS to know where one is and is going. I do all my course planning, plotting and navigating first the old-fashioned way -- on a chart -- then use the GPS to stay on course, mark my progress and location. For a real-life example of why I say "know thy navigation first," read my log for:

Monday, August 9, 2004; 0650
Saco, Maine on the Saco River
Marston’s Marina
http://www.chipford.com/maine_cruise.htm

And why I was glad to have brought along a second, "backup" unit:

Wednesday, August 11, 2004; 0720
South Portland, Maine
Port Harbor Marine
http://www.chipford.com/maine_cruise.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

12/25/2005 4:32 PM Pacific Time

And thank you, Chip. By the way I appreciate your wonderful website.
You have echoed the advise from many: have but don;t rely on GPS alone. I'm taking a navigation course which starts in January.
Paul

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/26/2005 3:01 AM Pacific Time

Paul, for a view of what the Garmin Mapsource charts actually look like, see:

http://www.chipford.com/maine_charts.htm
http://www.chipford.com/maine05/charts/charts.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
12/27/2005 9:43 AM Pacific Time

Garmin has a new GPS/Sounder unit with all of the Blue Chart Regions built in. The GPS 198C sells for $900 and takes the place of both a chart plotter and a depth sounder. The depth sounder transducer is purchased seperately.

The cost of purchasing all of the Blue Chart regions, $90 each region, far exceeds the cost of the unit. This seems like a good deal to me. I haven't purchased one yet, but I am saving up.

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Shopping for Handheld GPS