Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / New: Aluminum brazing

Author New: Aluminum brazing
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/24/2005 6:47 AM Pacific Time

I went to a Woodworking Show and spent $800 on new tools Dec 9-10-11, sort of self bought Christmas presents. One item is a fluxless brazing rod that repairs aluminum with a propane torch. For the demo at the show they take a soda can, punch a 1/4" hole in the bottom and braze/weld/solder it closed, then with the same tool used to make the hole, they pound the can down and the bottom holds together to crush the rest of the can. Truely something we can use to repair worn out holes in aluminum. It works for any non-ferrous metals. Called HTS-735-II, sold by
PJMarketing
1-98 CR33900
Powerly, TX 75473
(903) 491-3370
The big item was a Fein triangular shape finish sander, and attachments. I have wanted to buy one of these at $200 for years. In the meantime I have bought a vibrating copy by Ryobi, $40, and another by Porter Cable for $110, that one I took back, they just don't work like the motor driven Fein. The attachments, that cut narrow .020" slots, wood and sheet metal, haven't tried it on soft aluminum yet,make it a great fix it tool. On a finished book case in the customer's home I needed to cut a 1/2" x 1/4" rabbit in the end of a piece of plywood to make a crown molding fit. It did it. In the shop I would have set up a router or table saw, but rather than take it apart and back to the shop I was able to do it right there. I think I will find a number of uses for it on the boat, cutting and finish sanding into corners is now possible. Fein is a German made tool sold in tool stores, or look up Wood Working Shows and go to one when they come to your area.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
12/26/2005 6:08 PM Pacific Time

Wow Al! Cool Tool!

I just looked at the Multimaster on the Fein website. It looks pretty darn useful for a boat owner/woodworker.

I'm checking for a local dealer.

I have a friend with a small boatyard in Port Townsend, Washington who bought a Fein random orbit sander (with a pipe that connects to a shop vac) to rent to his customers to sand bottom paint. He says there is no dust released.
Kip C
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Knot Work / Quietude

Model/Year: '86 Cat 22 / '90 Cat 25

Hull No. 13358 / 6021

Hailing Port: Brookville Lake, Indiana
12/27/2005 2:14 AM Pacific Time

Check Amazon.com for pricing on nearly anything you buy online, especialy tools (they own The Tool Crib). Also, check to see if any clubs you belong to are affiliated with the online retailers you buy from. If you buy thru your clubs link to that retailer (Amazon, West Marine etc), your club may get a small kick back from the sale.
Does the Cat 22 Assoc. have such a program with their links?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/28/2005 6:07 AM Pacific Time

With the Multi tool they had a special on a 14.4v cordless drill for $80 extra. I had two already, but couldn't pass up the bargain, I'm really happy with, better than my Milwaukee, that I thought was great. I think that Fein makes good tools, kind of expensive, but I now think they are worth the extra money. That sander with the vacuum hose attachment must really work better than others,if it gets all the dust. I wish I had started buying Fein when I first got serious about buying tools for the shop 20 years ago.

Al Ge
Gordon Sell
Flemington, NJ

Boat Name: none

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. 7282

Hailing Port: Spruce Run Reservoir
12/28/2005 6:16 AM Pacific Time

I bought the HTS starter pack a few months ago from http://www.aluminumrepair.com/. The stuff works well on some test pieces I've tried, but tinning the surfaces can be a challenge. It is also hard to get things hot enough with a typical propane torch, which does't work if you aim it below horizontal. I think I need an extension hose so I can keep the tank vertical while I heat the object. When I do it properly the joints are almost as good as the ones in the video. When the weather gets a bit warmer I plan to repair a broken 1-inch square tube railing on our club committee boat. I tried to do it solo, but the average human does not have enough hands to heat, wire brush, and braze at the same time. I will need one or two other people just to keep all the work surfaces hot. Wear goggles, there is a lot of hot splatter when you wire brush to tin the surface.
Also I just bought a great new tool for boaters ... especially if your boat is not near 120 VAC. A cordless Dremel tool with a lithium ion battery. Now all I need is warm weather.

Gordon Sell
NJ

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / New: Aluminum brazing