Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / anchor locker drain leak

Author anchor locker drain leak
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
01/03/2006 9:42 AM Pacific Time

How do you get to the drain of the anchor locker? I have a leak at the top of the drain. I've coated the top with silicone, but no luck. Is it possible to go through the cabin? Is the drain a plastic hose? If so, how to replace? Thanks in advance.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
01/03/2006 4:33 PM Pacific Time

I think the anchor well drain is one of the few new problems with the new style. Many people have the problem. You can get some access by removing the plywood piece from the front of the V-berth (and cutting some material away I think). I was never able to stop my leak. I just mop up the puddle in the front-most bilge compartment occasionally. Someone on the list just plugged the old drain and installed a new one. That's what I would try if I attacked it again.
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
01/03/2006 6:36 PM Pacific Time

I actually bought a slightly smaller diameter hose from home depot , slid it inside the original drain hose, and then was able to 4200 around the new tube to close a similar leak.

Steve
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
01/04/2006 10:55 AM Pacific Time

Could you describe the symptoms of the leak? Where did the water accumulate if any? I always have some water on the floor in the cabin during rainy days. Could it be it?
Thanks.

"Spirit" #13485
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
01/05/2006 1:26 PM Pacific Time

I had a leak in the anchor locker of my '88 wing keel LeapFrog. Over a period of time, the bilge compartment below accumulated several gallons of water. I couldn't figure it out. Eventually, I discovered the drain hose had a small hole in it. I replaced the hose and solved the problem. I think I probably punched a hole in the hose when trying to unclog it using a coathanger. The hose material was very thin but supported by spiral wire. I replaced it with 1" bilge pump hose. Problem solved.

Good Luck, Kent
Ron Norton
Katy, TX

Boat Name: Vela

Model/Year: C22 / 1984

Hull No. 12037

Hailing Port: Katy, TX
01/05/2006 2:57 PM Pacific Time

If you have a drain, make sure it is not plugged. Mine got plugged with trash and water backed into the cabin.
Ron
C22 #12037
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
01/05/2006 6:49 PM Pacific Time

Last week I pulled out the anchor and noticed that the rode was soaking wet. Thelocker takes on quite a bite of water when it rains which has to filter though the rope on its way to the drain. Additionaly, there is a lip on the drain and a small ammount of water stays there until the sun bakes it dry.

I have been brainstorming ideas to help keep this line dry but so far, my brainstorm is more like a little puff of hot stinky air. All suggestions welcome.

ljp

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/06/2006 3:19 AM Pacific Time

I have a newer model c22 as well, but I didn't realize that the water in my bilge could be coming from a leaking anchor locker drain. It would explain the copius amounts of water there. I also didn't realize there was a hose for the drain. I thought it was a direct fiberglass link from the locker to the hole on the bow. I have removed the wood from the interior bow section but did not see a hose. Is it behind the fiberglass liner? Do I need to remove, or cut through the liner?

Thanks,
Dan
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Hull No. 14647 / 185

01/06/2006 4:11 AM Pacific Time

Dan, The earlier new style boats had a drain as you describe. This was later change to a fitting in the bottom of the locker exiting on the port side. I don't believe water in your bildge is coming from the area under the locker. In my boat #14647, that is sealed off and the water will accumulate there. When I have water in the bildge, it most all ways is coming in around the upper chainplates.

Kent
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
01/06/2006 5:18 AM Pacific Time

Water in bildge --- where is it coming from? If you have water in your bildge and you have ruled out the anchor locker drain as a source then I would strongly suggest that you consider resealing your lower gudgeon. Just remove it entirely; apply new sealant to both the bolts and the fitting; and reassemble. I had a chronic problem with water in the bildge and it took me over ten years to finally figure out that this was the source. Now my boat is dry as a bone. The lower gudgeon is often under water when the boat is fully loaded and the crew is in the cockpit.
Bob Larkin
Corvallis, OR

Boat Name: New Wave

Model/Year: 1988 Wing

Hull No. 14710

Hailing Port: Fern Ridge, OR
01/06/2006 11:39 AM Pacific Time

My '88 would collect water in the "bilge" aft of the forward anchor locker. This was during the winter with wind and rain. I would collect roughly a cupful per month.

I deliberately blocked the anchor-locker dain and filled the locker with a garden hose. Nothing left the locker. So, I sprayed the hose up under the deck-to-hull seal. The water came through on the starboard side and collected. Not wanting to remove the deck , I filled the seal area from the outside (up from the bottom) with RTV. It solved the problem.

This was my experience. Others may have a different problem!

Bob Larkin
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
01/06/2006 11:56 AM Pacific Time

Kent, Can you give some detail on how you replaced your anchor locker drain hose? Access, problems run into, 4200 used?, etc...

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/08/2006 8:25 AM Pacific Time

swizzlestick, I only have water in the bilge after it rains hard and long. I will clean and dry out the water and it stays dry, until the next heavy rain. I have not ruled out the anchor locker, but I suspect that is the culprit. Some water will come in here and there, but the volume I get has to be be collecting somewhere.......such as the anchor locker. I will be inspecting this very closely when the winter cover comes off....or maybe before would be better.

Dan
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Hull No. 14647 / 185

01/09/2006 3:55 PM Pacific Time

Charlie, There are two access areas in order to replace the hose. You can access the thrugh hull by lifting the roughly ,14"x14" plywood cover at the front of the v-birth. This is where I accumulated water. You have to remove the plywood bulkhead at the extreme forward part of the v-birth in order to get to the fitting at the bottom of the anchor locker. After I replaced the hose, I haven't had any more problems

Hope this helps you, Kent

Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
01/09/2006 5:31 PM Pacific Time

Hi All,
C22 1987.
I discovered a leak in the anchor locker drain here. I had mud in the locker and decided to clean it by pouring buckets of water into the anchor locker. That worked fine but..... I discovered that it was leaking about a week later. The water was trapped in the forward V berth locker and not in the actual bilge area. I had about three gallons of water trapped in that storage compartment. It is so tight that it would make a great live well for bait if it weren't so far forward in the cabin. I have tried to stop that leak by applying some caulking to the top of the anchor locker drain and then using a round stick to spread it down the tube and to keep the tube clear at the same time.

I also had other leaks that could get into the bilge/floor and they were the upper shroud chain plates. -a bad one because it has been rotting the bulkheads for years and compromising the strength of the upper shroud fittings.

Another possible for a leak is in the swing keel parts. The volcano, the lockdown bolt or the sink drain fitting into the hull/keel area.
~Bilbo
Bill Seger
Lombard Illinois

Boat Name: "Free Willy"

Model/Year: swing 1988

Hull No. 14282

Hailing Port: Winthrop Harbor,Illinois
01/17/2006 6:10 PM Pacific Time

I had the same problem with my forwardmost compartment accumulating water after rain. I pushed a slightly smaller plastic hose through the drain and left it long.I then used caulk around the hose in the anchor locker.After it set for a couple of days,I cut the hose flush,and I haven't had any more water problems.Sounds like a design flaw.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / anchor locker drain leak