Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Inboard Genoa Tracks anybody??

Author Inboard Genoa Tracks anybody??
Andy Kohler
Canton, GA

Boat Name: Good Times

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14778

Hailing Port: Atlanta
01/10/2006 7:29 PM Pacific Time

my wing keel C22 from 1989 (new version..) is used primarily for cruising with a 135 and a 155 roller furler genoa. I have read about the benefits of inboard genoa tracks for racing boats; Does anybody have first hand experience if this addition provides noticable improvement in pointing ability etc. for the casual cruiser??
In the same frame of reference, how does one set the forestay tension with a CDI roller furler attached, asides from just eye-balling the fore stay sag and the proper roller / turning function.
Third, what are some cruisers using as mast rake for the wing keel ? There seem to be quite a range of theoretical settings from 6-8 inches back (per c22 tuning guide to slightly forward alas Rich Fox).
Any advice welcome

Andy
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
01/11/2006 5:53 AM Pacific Time

ROTF. I don't cruise at all. Never have in 20 years of sailing.

The only people who will know the answers to your questions are folks who race a lot. So, when you get over your prejudice, ask some of them. :)

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/11/2006 6:17 AM Pacific Time

Inboard tracks are some improvement in pointing. But it is a relative thing, when racing any small advantage is important, in cruising you will not likely notice the difference in getting to one place or another. If you're using a 135, you will be giving up lot more advantage to the 150 boats than the inboard track will get back. I you use the 150 furler to race, you're not really serious and cannot expect to win over any serious sailor. Sure making your boat go faster is great, but for cruising I would spend the time and money on something that adds comfort, not speed that is really not that important in cruising.
For what it's worth.
Al Ge
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
01/11/2006 6:18 AM Pacific Time

Hey! I'm a cruiser who crews on a race C-22. I added inboard tracks to my Cruising C-22 and I noticed an immediate improvement in my pointing ability. One of the many improvements that I've made to my cruiser that I learned from racing. Makes all the difference in the world.
Brian Moloney
Gunnison, CO

Boat Name: Vilingia

Model/Year: 1994 Wing keel

Hull No. 15330

Hailing Port: Gunnison, CO
01/12/2006 8:45 AM Pacific Time

I have 2 questions related to inboard tracks. I f you add inboard tracks to the newer C22's, you have to run them over about a quarter inch lipon the deck, just outside the forward coaming. Should you put a shim under them? When you use inboard tracks, do the lifelines/stanchions get in the way?
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
01/12/2006 10:25 AM Pacific Time

Talk about predugus, what do you think that racers are the only ones that know anything about sailing!!!!!! jurk.

"Bob Keim
Nashville.

Hailing Port: Nashville 01/11/2006 5:53 AM Pacific Time
ROTF. I don't cruise at all. Never have in 20 years of sailing.

The only people who will know the answers to your questions are folks who race a lot. So, when you get over your prejudice, ask some of them. :)
Bob Keim
Nashville

Hull No.

01/12/2006 1:53 PM Pacific Time

A little sensative aren't we Paul?

Give him your answers. Does an inboard track make a cruising boat sail better? How do you adjust your jib cars, for "cruising"?

What mast rake do you like? When do you change the rake of your mast?

For crying out loud, he forgot to ask when and how do you adjust your shrouds? Why don't you share your thoughts about that, Paul?

Haha, I can hear it now... That stuff doesn't really matter when you can simply fire up that 9 hp motor. Man, now that's really sailing!

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

01/13/2006 6:31 AM Pacific Time

The man who introduced me to sailing had a saying, that when you're cruising you can relax and only sail at 99 percent efficiency. So I have always followed that way of sailing, if that is how you sail then by all means, add the inboard tracks. Before I had mine on, I would sail a bit further, but the sails are fuller and so it seemed that I was not that much behind. Of course I was just getting use to the boat and was not beating good sailors, but I was close enough to Gene Ferguson to clip his motor trying to turn inside of him at the weather mark. I cost me a 360. I don't usually sail that close to Gene, even with all the go fast things I've added. For what it's worth.
Al Ge
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
01/13/2006 8:17 AM Pacific Time

My goodness, there seems to be some "issues" between cruisers and racers. I happen to enjoy both. My poor old 1970 was set up for lots of stuff that I didn't even begin to understand. When I re-painted her, I took some of that hardware off. My new son-in-law wants to race so we are going to give it a shot this spring at Carlyle Lake, IL. Al, do you have any pictures of the inboard tracks? Where would you mount them. Mine are on the gunnl outside the cockpit coaming and there isn't much room to move anythign "inboard". I am highly competitive and would really like to stay at least in the middle of the pack. When I raced before, it was on a Hunter 27 and we were dead last every race.

Greg
Bob Keim
Nashville

Hull No.

01/13/2006 9:00 AM Pacific Time

Greg, you can take a 3' track and cut it in half to make the inboard tracks because you will only use them with the gennoa. The center of the tracks should be at the aft end of the aft window as close to the cabin top as you can place them and still allow the jib cars to move.

You must also have an adjustable backstay to have a chance of being competitive.

Have fun!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/13/2006 10:12 AM Pacific Time

Gregg, I agree with Bob except I think my inboards are three feet each, I maybe wrong, but his advice is right on the money. Now about the issue between racers and cruisers, we all need to get past this. I believe there are a few people who are raising everyones eyebrows about this topic. Yes the racers do have tons of knowledge on how to make the boat point, go faster, sail their boats, and they love to compete. Yes the cruisers know how to sail their boats well, and love to relax. The bottom line is we all love our C22 and love to sail them. This is not a who is better than who! Thanks for you time! Bob Scott BANSHEE 6973
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
01/13/2006 11:14 AM Pacific Time

Bob, Bob and Gregg,
According to Dennis Slaton, they are two feet. Buy a 4 foot section of track and cut in half. I agree with Bob Scott. The same folks seem to be stiring the pot here too. As the great American Rodney King cried out,"Why can't we all just get along?" I've learned a lot crewing on Bob Scott's Banshee that I have applied to my Pog Mo Thoin! cruiser. He now knows NOT to let the cruising captain be in charge of the racing captains beer!
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
01/13/2006 4:58 PM Pacific Time

Andy and Brian,

I race and also cruise. While not the best at either, I feel that I am competent at both. I would like to apoligize for some of the comments by some, that call themselves "racers". I think that sometimes they need to put "brain in gear before mouth in motion". We all sail the same little boat and many skills apply to both racers and cruisers. In fleet 95, Chattanooga, TN, I encourage all newbies to participate in racing. Not to become the club champion, but to become a better sailer. The "racers" who don't cruise are, in my opinion, missing a big part of what this little boat has to offer. The same can be said for the cruisers opinionated in the other direction. Enough said. Now on to your questions.

This is is from my expierences and remember, There are many ways to "skin the cat".

Andy, I have a sister boat of yours. # 14647, and just love it.
Inboard tracks; I have them and feel they are worth it. You point higher and it give you another set of blocks for other purposes. I run my furling line through the port one up to a cleat on the cabin top. Other times I will run sheets to an assm. spinaker there although that's not the best arrangement
Forestay tension: For cruising, I would keep it fairly firm. Some give it a lot of slop, 16" to 18'until the wind picks up. This gives you more power, and believe it or not, let's you point higher. Play it just like you would if the furler wern't there. However when you are ready to roll the sail in, make the forestay tight. It makes furling much easier.This assumes you have an adjustible backstay. If not, you have to tune for the worst conditions so make it tight .
Mast rake: I had 6" of rake and alot of weatherhelm. I was going to move the mast forward as Rich has done but then my new rudder arrived. it took care of the weatherhelm problem, so I left the rake where it was. The rudder is not legal for racing but I just cruise this boat so it's not an issue. All boats are a little different and so are the sails. Move your rake forward until the weatherhelm is acceptible. The boat sails faster without resistance from the rudder.
Brian, I have an '88 model and stopped the track at the lip. I cannot speak for your boat except that they won't interfere with you lifelines except when hard on the wind. Then, when tacking, you ight have to lift the foot up and over.

My wife loves cruising, but didn't like racing. Then, on one of the Northern Gulf Coast Cruises, We were behind another boat going to windward. Usually she would say " We're not racing" as I would trim the sheet a little bit ( I couldn't help it). I told her I wasn't racing, but just trying to sail " efficiently". As we closed in on the boat, I saw her grab the winch handle and trim in just a little bit. When I asked her what she was doing, she smilled and said " Just sailing efficiently".

That's what I would like to see all of us do, sail efficiently. I encourage all to race, not to be the champ but to be a better sailor.

Cruising requires a another set of skills, and the racers that don't think so, need to get their head out of the sand.

Kapt'n Kermit

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/14/2006 3:27 AM Pacific Time

Very well said Ken, Bob Scott-BANSHEE 6973
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

01/14/2006 6:02 AM Pacific Time

Thanks guys! I am going to spend some shop time on my boat this month and next month. I am one of the lucky ones that have a well equipped heated shop and can work anytime. There are some advantages to being a farmer. Intellectually I know that minute changes in sail trim can make a huge difference in performance so I iwll give it a shot. The guy I crewed for on his Hunter is a great friend but I called him Captain Charlie because he is the "Chicken of the Sea" Dick is a very cautious skipper. I on the other hand am happiest when you wonder if you are carrying just a little too much sail. Dick says that I have the attitude of "take no prisoners". I will look into an adjustable back stay. I don't know if I can slip that one by "the boss".

Thanks for the advise! I am eagerly awaiting spring.

Greg
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
01/14/2006 6:22 AM Pacific Time

Andy, just to weigh in as a cruiser who used to race:

1) Don't have inboard tracks, but I know just tuning the rig for my set of sails allowed me to leave my bay in 5 tacks instead of 7 with the prevailing wind, which is right up the bay. If I could afford them, I'd have them. Maybe I could get out in 3-4 tacks instead of 5. Cruisers often own older, less efficient sails than racers, so every little bit helps when you're going upwind.

2) Tuning for a cruising set of sails is about the same as for racing, but I found I got less weather helm/better pointing/better boat speed with my particular set of sails and my boat trim (loaded) with about 5" of rake. Only way to know is to try, so I'd recommend adjusting rake in 2" increments so you can see major changes in handling, then fine tune in smaller increments once you see what works. When you have it where you want it, mark the forestay and backstay with electrical tape at the tops of each turnbuckle.

Chip Lee
Andy Kohler
Canton, GA

Hull No. 14778

01/14/2006 7:01 AM Pacific Time

my Goodness, I just wanted to tap into the experience base of the forum, not start a war...
Thanks for all the responses. While the forestay and mast rake issues can be experimented with, the genoa tracks obviously would require a more permanent and $$ change. The point of the inquiry was to simply be more 'efficient' on that boat ( in the 5 tacks vs 7 tacks ball park) and to hear from people with that particular model (wing keel) and their experiences.

Kent, I have seen pictures of your "Leap Frog" and hoped you would chime in, since your boat seems to be indeed a twin of mine.
I do have an adjustable backstay and I will loosen that forestay to the amount you prescribed; I had mine to tight;
I have about 4 in of mast rake and a very small amount of wetherhelm (with the new style rudder as well) - I will just leave it alone.

I like the idea of using the inboard tracks for other sheets as well - had not thought of that. I will give it a go.
Thanks again for all the advise given; happy racing or cruising (whatever floats your boat) or better happy sailing to everybody.
Andy

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

01/14/2006 8:12 AM Pacific Time

Sorry, Greg, I don't have any pictures, but the other discriptions of 3' and 4' tracks cut in half are as good as I could do. There is a point that I would like to make and that is I think the 4' is a better in that you can move it back as far as the cockpit combing will allow, with in reason, so that when the wind gets higher you can move the car well aft to dump the head of the sail, before you have to change it out for a smaller sail. As for cruising I've never had the time to go except to Catalina for a week, or week end. I agree with Kent, and urge newbies to go racing, because it will force them to make the boat do all the things that a boat can do in repeated sailings, and they will learn how to sail well in less time, than just going out and reaching back and forth on a lake.
Good advice from all.
Al Ge
Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
01/14/2006 9:01 AM Pacific Time

I'm not sure about the placement of genoa tracks... I know both boats I race on have them. I don't understand the conflict between racers and cruisers. I personally got into sailing because I thoroughly enjoyed getting out on the lake with friends, meeting new friends, and no tv, no distractions. I could really just be me, and get to know other people. I got into racing because I bought a C22, and I wanted to learn how to sail one. I didn't enjoy racing on other boats (I hadn't done much)- but the shouting and yelling and feeling totally incompetent was not fun for me. I emailed the fleet 47 captain (Cronkhite), who said, sure come on out. Later, Jim Jay who was also crewing for him ended up going to Nationals last year, and we ended in 4th place. It took being with patient captain/other crew, attending seminars, etc.

Knowing how to get the most out of your boat can come in handy even when cruising -- such as outracing a storm, or getting to a point you are looking forward to getting to more quickly. I found I do enjoy the competitiveness of racing, and have learned more about boat handling in the year and a half that I've been racing than going out for fun. I have to admit, I miss getting out with 4-5 others and having a good time in the moonlight at the lake. I'm hoping to change that this year.

And Bob K - I'm ashamed of you for your rudeness. Consider your hand smacked, and play nicely. It will be interesting to see you cruising at PIKL.

Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Hull No. 14647 / 185

01/15/2006 5:49 AM Pacific Time

Andy, Just to clarify the use of my inboard tracks. On FrogZilla, I use them for headsail sheeting just about 100% of the time for both my sails. It does the same thing for a 110 as a 150. As my track stops at the coming, I can't slide the car back to depower. If that becomes necessary, I move to the outboard track. I can't remember the last time I had to do that. LeapFrog carries a 135 roller furling sail that I like better than a150 for cruising. It is the outboard track that becomes the versatile one. It still has the cars on it. I run my furling line through the block on the port side and sometimes run the anchor line through a block at the bow and then back through the starboard one. This lets me control the anchor line from the cockpit. I cleat it on the winch just like a sheet. I also have my bimini mounted on slides on the outboard track. I really like that. In my opinion, I would not be without the inboard tracks, especially since they are a relatively inexpensive addition, easy to install. Just be sure to give the cars enough clearence with the side of the cabin.

Kapt'n Kermit
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Hull No. 14647 / 185

01/15/2006 7:02 AM Pacific Time

Andy, Just to clarify the use of my inboard tracks. On FrogZilla, I use them for headsail sheeting just about 100% of the time for both my sails. It does the same thing for a 110 as a 150. As my track stops at the coming, (on Leap
Frog)I can't slide the car back to depower. If that becomes necessary, I move to the outboard track. I can't remember the last time I had to do that. LeapFrog carries a 135 roller furling sail that I like better than a150 for cruising. It is the outboard track that becomes the versatile one. It still has the cars on it. I run my furling line through the block on the port side and sometimes run the anchor line through a block at the bow and then back through the starboard one. This lets me control the anchor line from the cockpit. I cleat it on the winch just like a sheet. I also have my bimini mounted on slides on the outboard track. I really like that. In my opinion, I would not be without the inboard tracks, especially since they are a relatively inexpensive addition, easy to install. Just be sure to give the cars enough clearence with the side of the cabin.

Kapt'n Kermit

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/15/2006 8:54 AM Pacific Time

Sorry Kapt Kermit, left the t out of Kent, my appologies! Bob S
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
01/15/2006 10:31 AM Pacific Time

I have often thought of trying a "twing line" as a low cost alternative to inner tracks. Has anyone tried that?
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
01/15/2006 6:05 PM Pacific Time

Hello Greg,

I have pix of a "barber hauler" line that I have been playing with. I can send you photos if you contact me: [email protected]

I thought I had twings but was informed of the correct nomenclature.

ljp
Brian Moloney
Gunnison, CO

Hull No. 15330

01/16/2006 9:18 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Kent, and the others who responded. My only problem with stopping inboard tracks at the lip on the deck is that it wouldn't allow me to depower my 135 genoa as well. This is important on the mountain lake where I sail as we routinely have 20-25 knot gusty winds. My interest in being able to point higher is partly because I have a wing keel, which doesn't want to point as high as the swings. Also, where I sail, the lake is fairly narrow and the predominant wind blows down the lake, so about have the time I'm sailing close hauled going up the lake and the other half I'm sailing downwind.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/16/2006 11:53 AM Pacific Time

Brian, I can understand your wanting to depower the headsail like that. Last year at the Region 3 championships it was very gusty. As the pressure was building we put both sets of cars on the tracks and in the middle of the race we changed over before and after a tack. I would suggest if you want to try to point higher but dont want to lose your flexibility to invest a small amount into two sets of cars. Just my thoughts. Bob Scott Banshee 6973
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
01/16/2006 1:56 PM Pacific Time

Andy:

For the furler, you’ll want the inboard tracks to be the full four feet on each side. This will allow you to maintain proper sheeting angle when you furl up the sail both for using it in a reduced size and when you furl it completely after sailing.

You will find you will rarely use the outboard tracks again after installing the inboard tracks.

For getting forestay tension with a furler, it is probably best to first measure the forestay tension sans the furler extrusion. Assuming you do not have a backstay adjuster, I suggest getting the forestay tension to about 22 on the Loos Gauge Model PT-1 or 30 on the Loos Gauge Model A. After that, measure the backstay tension and use the back stay to set you forestay tension.

Also, before doing all the above, set the pin to pin length on the forestay to 27 feet 1 inch. Then use the plumb bob method at : http://tinyurl.com/3ycod to get the halyard at no more than 6 inches back from where it crosses the point where the boom attaches. Most likely this rake will need to go forward on your wing keel, but I think it best to start with this much rake. Rich Fox has successfully used very little rake on his wing keel. Do this with the boat on the trailer using the trailer jack to get the water line level as measure with a level or a spare clinometer.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

01/17/2006 4:49 AM Pacific Time

This thread seems to cover a wide variety of subjects so I will add another. I wanted to have access to a dingy but did not have the resources to buy one from West Marine for over $1k. I purchased an inflatable and found that I can't tow it, there is no deck room for it and the only way I can think of to manage it is to inflate and deflate the thing when I want to use it. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I was looking at some website cruise pics and a number of the boats had inflatables with them.

Thanks,

Greg G.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
01/17/2006 7:26 PM Pacific Time

I had C22 wing #14644 in Calif. Raced and cruised with it. The inboard tracks were 2 feet but before you drill holes make sure where they will come through on the inside. It was back in 1987 but I think I remember we just missed the light fixture by 1/8", but could sheet in further for better pointing. Catalina Direct had the best low profile cars for the tracks and the cost was less than West Marine. We installed a split backstay, so mast rake was dependent on sailing conditions and sail configurations.
Andy Kohler
Canton, GA

Hull No. 14778

01/17/2006 8:05 PM Pacific Time

Kent, Bayard, Lynn et all,
thanks for the shared experiences. I will definetly install the tracks while the boat is still on the hard at the house - still wrestling with the 2 vs 4 ft section - I lean towards the 2 ft sections; (I already moved the light fixture to the vertical face of the cabin under the windows to get more light on the table..)
Thanks for the hint of leveling the boat on the trailer before checking th mast rake, Bayard.

Greg, I have on seeral occassions used an inflatable dinghy; pulled it up to the sternrail on the starboard side above the swim lader; it only creates a problem there when the wind gets around 15 knots.

Thanks Andy
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

01/18/2006 8:40 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Andy, That thought occured to me except I don't have a stern pulpit. I am trying to get the Commodore (Nancy) to free up some resources to purchase them. She enjoys the boat for cruising, not racing, and is not a sailor by any stretch of the imagination. I think it would add a significant safety margin. I will try the stern cleat this summer.

Speaking of which, (safety) I purchased a Slant Six Throw bag that was featured in Practical Sailor. The bag is orange with a whistle and fifty feet of line inside. It should be a great MOB recovery device. All you have to do is loosen up the mouth pull string hold the bitter end of the line and fling the bag at the person in the water. PS said they got 40 feet of distance right out of the box. If anyone is interested in purchase details email me at [email protected]

Greg G
Brian Moloney
Gunnison, CO

Hull No. 15330

01/19/2006 9:57 AM Pacific Time

Just noticed in the description of CD's Inboard Genoa Track Kit for 85->, "You must provide a small plastic shim between the track and the deck if you want to span the short step in the deck toward the front of the track." Their kit includes only a 4' track to be cut in two...
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
01/21/2006 5:26 AM Pacific Time

I'll add my 2 cents on inboard tracks for a new style (1986). I have lifelines and a 150 roller furling jib. I sail with the jib sheet outside the lifelines for everything but a hard beat (max pointing). When I need to point high I lead the jib sheet inside the lifeline, and can get the jib to touch the spreader if I winch it in tight. Before I got my new jib, I couldn't get the jib to come anywhere near the spreaders. I tried twings, but they gave little improvement, and seemed to have a very narrow "slot".

So for a new style with a newish jib, I would not recommend the inboard tracks.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Inboard Genoa Tracks anybody??