Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Can This Tiller Be Saved?

Author Can This Tiller Be Saved?
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
01/24/2006 8:02 PM Pacific Time

I have what appears to be the original teak tiller on my 78 C22. On first glance, it appeared to be beyond salvation as the wood appeared to be in poor condition and the aft section split in half in the area where the bolts pass through where it attaches to the rudder. The section that split off is missing. It also has about a four inch bend to it. But upon sanding off the badly weathered wood, I found that the teak is in very good condition. Does any one know how to straighten a teak tiller? If I cut the damaged portion off, the tiller would be 6-7 inches short. Can any one recomend a good way to rebuild the broken end so that it would be the right length and strong?
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
01/25/2006 10:15 AM Pacific Time

Aaron, I got my 1986 C22 3 years ago with the tiller in the similar condition. I placed a couple of SS clamps, some glue and went on sailing. It broke into 2 pieces while under way to Block Island. Then, I bought a new one from CC for @$55 and I'm still happy with it.
Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
01/25/2006 8:07 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Artur, luck is one thing I'm going to need with this boat. The tiller is the least of my worries and the one here at CD looks nice and is cheap enough (Cheaper than the cost of the teak needed to cut out a similar tiller to the one Ii have now). I just don't want to give up on this nice piece of teak. I might try to fix it but I will have plenty of time to think about it while I make my numerous other repairs and replacements.
By the way, I see your Hailing port is in Bantam. I live in the Northwest corner of CT. Do you sail Bantam Lake or Candlewood Lake? A C22 seems a bit big for most of the lakes we have around here, but if and when I do ever get Tidley-Idley seaworthy, I would like to start with it in a smaller body of water than Long Island Sound. Just in case.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
01/26/2006 5:33 AM Pacific Time

Aaron, when you get all of your work done, you might think about launching her first on Peconic or Shinnecock Bays. I used to sail there in college, and both bays are pretty sheltered in most winds.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/26/2006 7:38 AM Pacific Time

Aaron, if you want to save the tiller you can. You will find that mahogany is very similar to teak, just not as oily. It sounds like the butt end is cracked or split beyond repair, but if it can be epoxied back together, that would be the easiest. Mix and fill the voids. Oh, first swab, or submerge the area that you would be putting the epoxy into with MEK or lacquer thinner to get the oil out of the surface, or nothing will stick very long. If there is too large a void to just fill with epoxy, cut and fit a piece of mahgony to takeup most of the volume. If that piece is structural, cut and fit it as a mortise and tennon into the stock. As for the 4" curve I think that is normal, from one end to the other, and usually with a knoob on the bottom end for a handle.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
01/27/2006 8:25 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Al, that is how I was thinking of repairing the wood. You are correct that the wood split at the butt end about 8 inches from the back. The split goes through the aft hole for securing the tiller to the rudder stock but the forward hole is intact. I was going to make a clean cut at the same angle as the split and remove all of the damaged wood. That would give me about 9-10 inches of surface area on which to attach the new piece. The other alternative is to simply remove the damaged portion and sail with a 32 inch tiller instead of a 40" tiller though I don't know how that would affect the steering.
That is of course if I can get the bend out of it which goes to starboard (ie if you lay the tiller on its side, its middle is about 2 inches up from the ends. That doesn't affect the function but it just doesn't look right. For that repair I was considering using moisture and pressure, the two things that put the bend there in the first place. Any ideas?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/28/2006 5:33 AM Pacific Time

I didn't know you meant a bend to the side, that's a problem that I don't have a good solution for. I have never seen teak warp like that. I do have a wild idea. What if you slit the tiller the way of the bend into 3/8" boards on a bandsaw and then bonded them back together with a filled epoxy. You could straighten the bend and do the other repairs at the same time. Using filled epoxy, after through washing in lacquer thinnner, would save you having to sand off the boards and losing any more thichness than the kerf. Wild, huh?
Al Ge
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Hull No. 13485

01/30/2006 5:50 AM Pacific Time

Aaron, Bantam Lake is my base for the whole season but I take "Spirit" to the sound a couple of times, ususally in July and August. We made a tradition of watching the fireworks on Thames River from our sailboat in Groton every July.
We rent the slip in Pine Island Marina and stay there for the night. This year, I'm planning on exploring the area around Shelter Island, NY. I went there and stayed in Greenport last year and just loved it. I can't wait for the spring. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
01/30/2006 8:08 PM Pacific Time

Where do you launch at Bantam Lake? Is Bantam really big enough for a C22?
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Hull No. 13485

02/02/2006 1:51 PM Pacific Time

I think it is. Actually, Bantam Lake is the largest, natural, non man-made lake in our state. You can look it up on the web. I keep my C22 on the mooring at White Memorial Marina, next to the campground. The lake has a nice state boat launch where I usually go to launch her. Main body of the lake has nice winds most of the time and there is plenty of room to drop the hook and enjoy swimming. Good luck and let me know if I should look for you this summer.

"Spirit" #13485
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
02/02/2006 8:13 PM Pacific Time

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks much for the info. Maybe someday with luck, hard work and lots and lots of $$$$ you will see me out there.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/03/2006 8:36 AM Pacific Time

So much for staying "on topic!" What does sailing on Lake Bantam have to do with a split tiller? This is why I dislike forums with categorized threads. It is hard to change the topic in the middle of another discussion in the selected category. I guess the discussion could fit into Cruising category except you all are just out daysailing, rather than "cruising." However a discussion of places to sail certainly does not belong in the Hull/Keel/Rudder/Tiller section.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I better go eat breakfast and raise my blood sugar a little.
tim beckerman
bay shore,new york

Boat Name: storm seacher

Model/Year: c22 1988

Hull No. 14448

Hailing Port: bay shore, new york
02/03/2006 5:07 PM Pacific Time

Dick
It's a long three months up hear and if some people get off the subject and talk about sailing then let it be, you don't have to read whats on the board.
Aaron,
Some of the best sailing in the world is on the Sound and in and around the bays and waters of Long Island and Connecticut, have a great summer and be careful out there.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Can This Tiller Be Saved?